Norton Style Gearbox Issue

Thanks, Tim. No grease. I just use 20w non-detergent oil in it. Also, the right side pin is in fine shape.
I was thinking of using drill rod. Is drill rod too strong; should I just use some hot rolled steel that I also have on hand?

Drill rod would be an excellent choice for durability. Probably a bit harder to machine than 1045. The old pins in my 1947 South Bend didn't look like a special steel. Looked like a plain Jane steel.

Also, FWIW... If the apron gears are binding...then that also puts more strain on everything and a binding gear train in the aprons of the Model A and B's South Bends will cause the tumblers to pop out if the pins aren't real snug and tight. So just keep that in mind...make sure everything in the system is free and lubed. I went through all of these items on that old South Bend. I thought I only had to fix the best OCGB pins. But even after that repair...it popped out of gear when Id engage the power feed. I then found out about I had a binding apron on that sliding gear which engages the keyway slot of the lead screw. The old lathe was abused and misused.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tim, I don't think there is any binding in the apron gears. Mine feeds with the half nuts. But, I will look at that and try to make sure.

Tim makes a good point. I remember mine popping out when I had a bind issue. Release the drive belt, engage feed then spindle should turn easily by hand

Back