Not a big project but took way too long. Drawer for lathe table

If you grind your welds you are not a welder but rather, a grinder. lol

The issue with terrible looking welds is that generally, they sometimes have terrible structural integrity. Most times it is not a huge deal, but something to consider.
This is why I won't weld for others. I test the structural integrity by trying to break the weld. So far, so good. I haven't had a weld job fail but I've only done a few, all with sticks except the lathe table.

This is why I won't weld for others. I test the structural integrity by trying to break the weld. So far, so good. I haven't had a weld job fail but I've only done a few, all with sticks except the lathe table.

Yep, I hear ya. I have been TIG welding for a while now and it seems like every time I weld I learn something new. I also watch a lot of YouTube videos on welding and took a night class at the local tech college, which was ok but my instructor was crap. I would like to take it again with a different instructor.

Thank you for the link to the inserts, although as soon as I saw "Lista" I knew it was going to be expensive. LOL

Yep, I hear ya. I have been TIG welding for a while now and it seems like every time I weld I learn something new. I also watch a lot of YouTube videos on welding and took a night class at the local tech college, which was ok but my instructor was crap. I would like to take it again with a different instructor.

Thank you for the link to the inserts, although as soon as I saw "Lista" I knew it was going to be expensive. LOL
I really lucked out on the inserts and the bits that came with them. It's mostly drill bits and taps but weighed almost 60 pounds with those and the Lista inserts.
Grand total, $55

If you grind your welds you are not a welder but rather, a grinder.

I hear this all the time. I say it's BS and just ignore it. I usually grind my welds to make them flush with the surrounding metal. I am also a TRAINED welder, so I can lay down a structurally sound weld. I grind, because I like a smooth finish and not an "oil-field" finish on my work.

I hear this all the time. I say it's BS and just ignore it. I usually grind my welds to make them flush with the surrounding metal. I am also a TRAINED welder, so I can lay down a structurally sound weld. I grind, because I like a smooth finish and not an "oil-field" finish on my work.

First you learn how to make it strong, then pretty....

If in doubt give it a good whack with a BFH, if you're still wondering the grinder will reveal whatever happened inside the weld.

I'm not a trained welder but learned oxy/acetylene from my dad long ago. Most of the things I've welded in the past few years have been ground flush for appearance or fit. The rusty wire deal is important, I had a nearly full spool in my Miller 150 and couldn't get good welds to save my life. Changed the spool for new and it was like magic:cool:

John

It was a little tongue-in-cheek in my response. I realize that the internet loses the inflection of voice but I meant no harm.

I do grind my welds sometimes too, depending on what I am doing and the finish product. I just started fab'ing up a land plane for my tractor. Those welds will not be ground. When I welded up my lathe stand, I ground the welds so I could paint it to make it purdy.

Back