Not a project to brag about

John TV

Registered
Registered
So just laughing at myself because I really suck at this machining stuff but it is so much fun, I just keep smiling. Finally got a cheap qctp for my old Logan lathe and needed to machine the t-nut. No problem, if I had to I could just file the thing to shape ( probably should have done this, might have been better looking and faster). Measured and laid out accurate lines got out the palmgren style milling attachment my father in law made for the lathe. Then I promptly got schooled by making every possible mistake learning to use this tool. I learned a lot, didn't break anything but there is not a square corner or accurate cut anywhere on the t-nut. Luckily nothing was critical and it does work but I'm quite sure it would have earned a D in middle school shop class. I'm finding out that not only does this hobby keep you broke it also keeps you humble. Still smiling in Minnesota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just laughing at myself because I really suck at this machining stuff but it is so much fun, I just keep smiling. Finally got a cheap qctp for my old Logan lathe and needed to machine the t-nut. No problem, if I had to I could just file the thing to shape ( probably should have done this, might have been better looking and faster). Measured and laid out accurate lines got out the palmgren style milling attachment my father in law made for the lathe. Then I promptly got schooled by making every possible mistake learning to use this tool. I learned a lot, didn't break anything but there is not a square corner or accurate cut anywhere on the t-nut. Luckily nothing was critical and it does work but I'm quite sure it would have earned a D in middle school shop class. I'm finding out that not only does this hobby keep you broke it also keeps you humble. Still smiling in Minnesota!

274258b78a9d4aa892a51a1c11fb3900.jpg

You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.enjoy the hobby and the next project will be better.keep smiling

274258b78a9d4aa892a51a1c11fb3900.jpg

We all have to learn somehow, the t nut functions and may not be pretty but I'm sure you learned a few things along the way so you should consider that a success. Remake the part now that you know what not to do next time. Take a look at my byline and also remember as I do " We all have to learn somehow and gain the skills we seek by trying" Keep trying, ask questions here because that's why this forum exists. Oh and by the way in my book you get an A for effort, style points for trying! :encourage:

Bwhahaha I feel your pain John!!!! I was making a couple simple L brackets on my mill this evening and shot one out of the vice like a rocket... "well the escalated quickly"

As a paramedic one of the mottoes to live by is "experience is something you get right after you needed it". I am truly looking forward to learning this craft, but I am well aware I will look like a dummy trying. Ya gotta keep trying....
Another truism...from hot rods to tools, when I die "I hope my wife does not sell everything for the price I told her it cost":faint::D

Ha! When I machined down the t-nut for my QCTP I think I needed to machine off 1/4" on each side. And I used my Palmgren milling attachment. I did the first side and it came out well. Then for some reason I took 3/8" off the other side. Actually I know the reason: brain fart.

But, as you say, it worked. And I've gotten better. I still make enough mistakes to keep me humble though.

Back