Not Looking Good For Fry's Electronics

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Went to Fry's yesterday to buy a wifi card. Haven't been there in a while. Their shelves are empty, looks even worse than Sears! They didn't have a single network card in stock.

So sad, I loved Fry's. When Radio Shack closed I didn't care much cause we had Fry's. I used to go Fry's every Sunday to check out what was on sale, look at tools, electronics, gadgets, etc. I've built a number of PCs from stuff I bought there. Now I don't have anywhere close to buy electronic components when I need to repair something.

Had to resort to ordering what I need on Amazon. Yeah I do love Amazon but I wouldn't have gladly paid a bit more for what I needed to have that day. Sucks that another one is gonna close because of internet sales. Not surprised though. Ordered the wifi card last night on Amazon for much cheaper than I would have paid at Frys & it's already out for delivery today.

20191008_141233.jpg20191008_141217.jpg

Wow, that is sad. Frys.com got beat out by newegg.com, then newegg got trounced by amazon. It took a few years, and now is looking like a slow, leg twitching death. These days I buy PC components on amazon, or from B&H Photo Video, who didn't go by way of Fry's because they figured out how to sell big volume online.

My thought is that buying anything local that isn't clothes, auto parts, food or sold at WalMart/Home Depot (or one of their clones) is going to be gone in the next 10 or 20 years, only available online.

It is sad but businesses that don't want to innovate or change with the times it's not looking good for any of them.

With literally one-day deliveries I've been getting from Amazon I don't see any reason to go to any store when it takes me time to fight traffic, deal with the parking and then take my chances at what type of product I'll get at whatever price.

Having said that Amazon isn't necessarily the cheapest anymore so I shop at Banggood, AliExpress, Ebay and Walmart too.

Sorry to hear about Fry's. I never buy anything from Amazon. Amazon has been the ruin of more businesses large or small than anything else. And I seem to always find what I want at a lower cost somewhere else. I try to buy from local businesses whenever I can. Local is relative in my case because the nearest small town is 12 miles away. The next closest town is 25 miles away from me. I make a shopping run about every 2 weeks. Make a list and call around to see if anybody has what's on my list. Otherwise I search online for the best price including shipping and sales tax.

I'm afraid I'm not surprised. One unique thing about Frys used to be the fairly extensive electronics parts and test gear selection. I bought a portable TEK scope and other small test equipment there years ago, also lots of test leads and PC cards/motherboards, etc. Last time I was in one a year or so ago the parts section had dwindled to 2-3 very short isles. They had almost eliminated their uniqueness. Never went back after that. Online didn't stop me from shopping there, their stocking decisions did.

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

One of my favorite stores.

Sorry, not to make light of the situation, but what is up with those marshmallow/mushroom/ice cream display tables? Not quite sure which theme they were going for there.

Sorry, not to make light of the situation, but what is up with those marshmallow/mushroom/ice cream display tables? Not quite sure which theme they were going for there.

My bro reckons their minecraft inspired :)

Stu

I have never been to a Frys, actually never even heard of them till now they were never in this area. What did in Radio Shack is when they changed from an electronics store to a cell phone store that only sold phones and plans at MSRP or more. It looks like it may have been a fun store. Now for electronic components the only option left is mail order. There are no local places left to buy from at any price.

Back