Not really a carriage stop but kinda

killswitch505

Registered
Registered
I’ve been threading a lot of barrels as of late I’d like to be able to thread a tenon with having to cut a relief and maybe thread at I higher RPM. So I made a micro switch stop. I started on it last night and got a working model tonight.
6BFA07B0-2E96-4BC7-8588-B52024ADC7D2.jpeg

That's a very cool idea. How is the switch wired?
If I may suggest another approach, check out Joe Pieczynski's you tube video called "Threading on manual lathe: best technique ever". You may not like this technique but I sure do. Very small chance of crashing shoulder (only if you do something really dumb like I did first time).
Essentially what you do is turn threading tool upside down, run lathe in reverse, thread from shoulder toward tailstock. And you can thread at a higher speed.
All this is dependent on your lathe being capable of course.

That's a very cool idea. How is the switch wired?
If I may suggest another approach, check out Joe Pieczynski's you tube video called "Threading on manual lathe: best technique ever". You may not like this technique but I sure do. Very small chance of crashing shoulder (only if you do something really dumb like I did first time).
Essentially what you do is turn threading tool upside down, run lathe in reverse, thread from shoulder toward tailstock. And you can thread at a higher speed.
All this is dependent on your lathe being capable of course.
I did a 3 phase and VFD upgrade on my lathe a while back it’s just wired into the stop function of the drive. I’ve actually tried joes approach with great results it was just kinda a pain in the butt for me to set up. I’ve used similar switches in other applications with pretty good results thought maybe they could be used in machining. I’m going to attempt to do something like this on my mill for fluting barrels

I think it will work great for fluting barrels also. Please let us know how it turns out.

I like the idea, but be aware that the VFD brake can sometime fail, if too much rotating mass or too high a speed is used.
I have had to back off on the braking level on mine until it was somewhat reliable.
This probably works best with a lightweight chuck or collet.

I like the idea, but be aware that the VFD brake can sometime fail, if too much rotating mass or too high a speed is used.
I have had to back off on the braking level on mine until it was somewhat reliable.
This probably works best with a lightweight chuck or collet.
That was a huge consern I built a lighter spider to hopefully help with that

53C0FAE9-8B59-4D04-A098-9E32D14D0DFF.jpeg

Back