Not sure if this counts but i made some aluminum T nuts with 3/8" threads

I’d say it counts. I made two yesterday. Actually started making four, miscalculated a cut and scrapped all four. Found a new piece of scrap, smaller, started over, got it right the second time.

Should have made a sketch first. Seemed like a simple enough part to just measure and cut on the fly, but no.

Good work @Ridetoeat !! My back grumbles if I stoop over the mill too much too. I'm a great believer in having a "saddle stool" in the shop for extended runs. My lathe, benches and everything else are set up at height that suits me - saves a huge amount of pain.

My mistakes are almost always when I'm freestyling, @rabler . "Always make a sketch" :face slap: should be the hobby machinists mantra imho :)

Oops, double post.

We may have the longest thread in history over a T nut !! :) P.S. I miss forums having a delete.

I get 10-15 minutes, maybe more in the mornings of standing and in between I have to sit on something and "re-charge my back I call it", if I had to guess I get a minute or so less every time around with a brief 2-3 minute rest in between. Seems if I don't let it get bad I do better on keeping going for a few hours at a time. i stop sit and read on something. I am only 57 so gotta avoid all the pain killers for a lotta years still, just some anti in flams. I am a bit lucky in that I never get the pains running down my legs like so many do, must pinch on a different nerve in me.
my BIL is an ex firefighter. He wrecked his back, multiple surgeries, and now lives with a morphine pump in his body. I can't imagine that pain. When my back goes out, I know how bad it is.... I now have full time pain, but not at a high level... I try to swim during the summer to loosen it up and it works great. I find sitting around actually does not improve it as much as moving.

Heh, that's why we're all here, right? Most folks just don't understand, or indeed appreciate :)

+1 for moving to keep a back healthy. Keeping mine strong is key to staying pain free.

Long live HM and T nut posts!

Nice nuts!

My back is fine and I probably would take about the same amount of time. I guess I'm just slow and methodical. I do try to hit every dimension within 0.001" even though it's not needed. I'm still trying to see how accurate I can be after a few years in this hobby.

My back is fine and I probably would take about the same amount of time. I guess I'm just slow and methodical. I do try to hit every dimension within 0.001" even though it's not needed. I'm still trying to see how accurate I can be after a few years in this hobby.
That's exactly what I was taught 40 some odd years ago . Always shoot for the nominal dimension . :) I try to teach this now to my trainees at work . Most people don't understand the importance of holding open tolerances the same even when not needed . They learn when using collet closers and other fixtures that it helps hold tighter tolerances farther down the operation . ( if this makes senses ) :grin:

I use AL blocks on my mill. It won't hurt the table, and it holds good enough. I figure if I blow the threads, I am overtightening. The goal is to hold it from moving. If I can't hold it with moderate pressure, I need to add blocking or jacks, or whatever to help.
If the thread engagement in Al is 2x the pitch diameter, you'll break the bolt before your strip the threads.
In steel it's 1.5x.
In Ti? Don't thread Ti, it'll light on fire and melt it's way back to the country that smelted it. ;)

Not that you'd get 3/4" of threads in a T nut, but hey.... there it is!

Back