Not Wearing Eye Protection

I always do, except today when I didn't -wear safety googles. I wear glasses so didn't don the safety glasses because it was cold in the shop 38* F or so. To lazy towarm them up.

Sure enuf, taking a cut on the lathe, a curly blue chip shot off the work and embedded itself underneath the edge of my prescription lens, 1/2" below the right eye. I actually watched it launch up and could see it fly my face. I couldn't react quickly enuf to avoid getting embedded. Had to actually pull it out of the old epidermis. Hot and sharp. Couldn't believe it. This was a once in a 10,000 hit, but every 10,000 chips one is going to fly towards your head! Be prepared!

Wearing prescription glasses makes safety glasses with good coverage hard to find that don't fog or cause vision problems, so I have been using a full face shield. Anyone have a better idea?

I have been using safety glasses with cheater magnifiers in the bottom of them. I only need my glasses for seeing things that are distant and for reading, so the cheater style safety glasses work just fine for me. As for any guests in my shop, I kindly request that they wear safety glasses and no one ever argues. Most of my friends are old enough to realize the importance of being cautious, even if it is a pain in the old kiester.

I have been using safety glasses with cheater magnifiers in the bottom of them. I only need my glasses for seeing things that are distant and for reading, so the cheater style safety glasses work just fine for me.

I've been using the cheater safety glasses too, and I really like them. I buy them on Amazon in 5 packs for $35 shipped (just $7 each). The optical quality is excellent, and they last me about 9 months per pair before the lenses are too pockmarked and become hazy and annoying. Then I just open up a new pair. They are so comfortable that I never take them off. If I go somewhere "fancy" I have to try to remember to put on my "real people" glasses. :grin:

GG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RY2FOLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51yc6kqbXeL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Wearing prescription glasses makes safety glasses with good coverage hard to find that don't fog or cause vision problems, so I have been using a full face shield. Anyone have a better idea?

There are many internet order places for prescription glasses, just order a pair or 2 of safety glasses with your scripts. You'll be glad you did. A lot cheaper than the store.
http://www.zennioptical.com/702023-prescription-goggles.html

Depending on what I'm doing I will. Or splash style goggles.

I have prescription glasses but I SWEAR they somehow deflect stuff INTO my eyes.

People still scoff or roll their eyes at me when I won't start a job until I've got eye protection on or ear protection in.

They can laugh til they're blind for all I care!

Member of the full face shield club here... started wearing them when a friend of mine took a wire off a wire wheel into the eye. Surgeons couldn't save it for him.

Eyeballs don't grow back...

Member of the full face shield club here... started wearing them when a friend of mine took a wire off a wire wheel into the eye. Surgeons couldn't save it for him.

Eyeballs don't grow back...
Was your friend wearing safety glasses?

Back