Nova-1 4.5cc side port model diesel engine

Olli-Matti

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Wanted to share a video of the Nova-1 model diesel engine build. I built the engine during March-May 2021 from the Jef Lemmens Plans and castings. Video is quite long but it has some running of the engine in the beginning for the interested and at the end there is a lot of pictures and short clips of some technical details that some of you might find interesting. Ports, insides, machining etc. Hope you enjoy it! Regards Olli-Matti

Nova-1 4.5cc model diesel engine build by OMK

Hi,

Wanted to share a video of the Nova-1 model diesel engine build. I built the engine during March-May 2021 from the Jef Lemmens Plans and castings. Video is quite long but it has some running of the engine in the beginning for the interested and at the end there is a lot of pictures and short clips of some technical details that some of you might find interesting. Ports, insides, machining etc. Hope you enjoy it! Regards Olli-Matti

Nova-1 4.5cc model diesel engine build by OMK
Really enjoyed watching the video. Have built several diesels - BollAero 18, Fig Tree Pocket twin and a Swiss Dyno. Ready made diesel fuel is not available in my area so mixed my own with 40% ether (from John Deere quick start spray can), 30% castor oil and 30% kerosene. Tried to run the BollAero 18 couldn't get ignition. Your Nova-1 starts and runs extremely well so exactly what fuel did you use? If you mixed your own what ingredients were used and at what ratios?

Thanks
Canuck75

Really enjoyed watching the video. Have built several diesels - BollAero 18, Fig Tree Pocket twin and a Swiss Dyno. Ready made diesel fuel is not available in my area so mixed my own with 40% ether (from John Deere quick start spray can), 30% castor oil and 30% kerosene. Tried to run the BollAero 18 couldn't get ignition. Your Nova-1 starts and runs extremely well so exactly what fuel did you use? If you mixed your own what ingredients were used and at what ratios?

Thanks
Canuck75
Thanks Canuck75,

My Nova runs extremely well but it has a habit of starting with overcompressed setting only. It pops all the time with low compression and peak compression serting but to get it started it always needs to be 1/4 turn overcompressed. Once running compression can be immediately backed off.

When the engine is warm it can be shut down and starts all the time first flick, this is what you see on the video.

I am not sure but I think it might be still bit tight allround or the cylinder taper together with a very long piston causes this behaviour some how.

I experienced a little with different fuel ratios (mixing my own fuel) but landed with 38% kerosene, 34% ether and 28% castor oil and then about 1,5% IPN (amylnitrate if I remember correctly) added.

I made a homemade propeller for the Nova-1 aswell. It can be seen running here on the video:

Attachments

• 3A6A1765-5164-476E-A164-E9AA4198FCDD.jpeg
    3A6A1765-5164-476E-A164-E9AA4198FCDD.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • B2F4A33D-4A56-4DE4-9E55-C53E6E94C26D.jpeg
    B2F4A33D-4A56-4DE4-9E55-C53E6E94C26D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Ollie-Matti,-

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Another interesting video. Really like your laminated propellers, the one on the BollAero 18 looks very professional!
Thanks for the fuel mixing information as well. Don't know whether I can source the amylnitrate but will keep working on the fuel mix until something happens.
At present the bore on the BollAero 18 is .0004" tight at the top and can feel some pop on turnover. Plan on making a new piston from 7075 AL vice CI which will tighten with heat and might help.

Thanks.

Back