Now I'm really frustrated. Ideal 310

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Ok guys ive got these lyman/ideal 310 dies in 50-110, 50-70 and 500 s&w. I would like to use these dies on my dillon 550 press. Saw an adapter online 7/8-14 outside by 5/8-30 inside. Thought that would work fine.....well i bought it, the 7/8-14 worked fine but what is this 5/8-30 baloney....my dies are just a tad too big. I mic them and they are .645+- a thou or so by 30.

Well cant find any adapters that that will fit my dies on the inside size thought I'll just make a tap and make my own adapters 7/8-14 on the outside and .645-30 on the inside...well you know it my lathe wont turn 30 tpi, go figure...so i figure I'll just buy a 5/8-30 DIE spread it apart a little, turn my hardenable steel blank to diam and thread it to dimension. I did all that and the homemade tap was still undersize.

You talk about frustration...you would think as many of these dies that were made, someone would have a solution to using these dies in a regular 7/8-14 press.

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas....does anyone make a bigger adapter or a bigger .645/30 tap or know of a way to use these dies in a regular press.

My last alternative is to have a tap made and go from there or buy new 7/8-14 dies for each caliber...but im not made of money and at age i have plenty of time.

Attachments

• 20220620_102449.jpg
    20220620_102449.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 13
Some manufacturers will use oddball size threads just so you have to go back to them for parts. I have been very happy with the dies from RCBS. They even fixed a used set of dies for no charge. Not very many companies will do that.

Reactions: jcp
I realize this sounds silly for American tooling, but the numbers sure sound like metric 15mm X 1.2 pitch?

Correction: I inverted the fraction, it should have been M15x0.85

Last edited:
Does your lathe use ANY change gears at all? You can often single point a pitch the lathe doesn't list by different combos of the chg gears. For example, my Grizzly G4003G doesn't list 27tpi but all the SAE threads are created using a 40t to 40t gear pair in the train. The machine also came with a 60T for metric threads. So I set my gearbox for 18tpi and then run a 40T x 60T instead of the 40 x 40. This slows my leadscrew by 2/3's and gives me 27TPI. You may be able to do the same thing by slowing a 20TPI setting by 2/3's to get 30TPI. Halving a 15tpi or doubling a 60tpi will also get you 30tpi. There may be other combinations that aren't so "neat".
Well cant find any adapters that that will fit my dies on the inside size thought I'll just make a tap and make my own adapters 7/8-14 on the outside and .645-30 on the inside...well you know it my lathe wont turn 30 tpi, go figure...so i figure I'll just buy a 5/8-30 DIE spread it apart a little, turn my hardenable steel blank to diam and thread it to dimension. I did all that and the homemade tap was still undersize.

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas.

Well praise the LORD. I just ordered a couple of custom made taps to make my adapters.....then you'll never guess what happened. I found, in my reloading stuff, the exact adapter i needed and it fits both the 7/8-14 head and the 50-110 and 50-70 dies i needed (see pic). I have no idea where i got it or who made, i just thank GOD. So it appears i will have my new taps and all my adapters made by week after next.

Attachments

• 20220623_100827.jpg
    20220623_100827.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8
Well praise the LORD. I just ordered a couple of custom made taps to make my adapters.....then you'll never guess what happened. I found, in my reloading stuff, the exact adapter i needed and it fits both the 7/8-14 head and the 50-110 and 50-70 dies i needed (see pic). I have no idea where i got it or who made, i just thank GOD. So it appears i will have my new taps and all my adapters made by week after next.
Glad you found one Mike8623. I was going to reply to say I believe Lyman used to make them, as I had a bunch of them along with a mess of 310 dies and some 310 Tong Tools a few years back. Gave them away eventually, as no one wanted to pay for them at gun shows I used to go to.

Back