Now They've Done it

Think the PM30 will be in my future; almost twice the weight and the table travel is a bit bigger. I just tried to order and got "you can't order the Mill with add on's. I added a Vise; R8 collets; and the clamping kit. I'll have to call I guess.

Got my Stimulus check (direct deposit) and now I have this dilemma: PM 25 with DRO or PM30 without DRO. Another question; If I get the PM30 how difficult is it to retrofit a DRO? AND, how much is a quality DRO? I see DRO's listed on *bay for up to $200 yet the DRO from PM installed is $600.
I need guidence.

I would go with the DRO.
I know that there will be folks who will say that a DRO is not necessary but it’s been a real help to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the mill I think most people would encourage the DRO.

The PM unit sounds like it is a good quality setup. I have a cheap ebay DRO on the mill and it works great. It does take a willingness to tinker and drill the casting of the machine to install it though. So there is something to be said for factory installation. There are a ton of videos and writeups about installing them and such. I found it reasonably straightforward for the most part.

Another thing to keep in mind is tooling. So save some of that cash for that. I know I have many times more in tooling than the cost of the machines.

I know I have many times more in tooling than the cost of the machines.

Me too. About 2K$ for my small lathe, and about 3K$ for my mill. Over 30 odd years. Not consumables, like inserts - just tool holders, tool posts tailstock chucks, lathe chucks, rotary tables, the list goes on....

Tooling is killing me; I'm having a problem not only in expensing the tooling, but also WHICH tooling to buy first.

Tooling is killing me; I'm having a problem not only in expensing the tooling, but also WHICH tooling to buy first.
Collets (3/8, 1/2, 5/8), vise and drill chuck.

Back