now THIS is a four jaw chuck

Jeff in Pa

Active User
Registered
I had to remove the 21" hydraulic chuck on the Daewoo Puma 600 and put on the 32" four jaw chuck.
DSC00009.jpg

The chuck is 32" in diameter and the jaws are set for 19" in the picture.

It's an Atlas Chuck
DSC00010.jpg

Does the Puma have a jib crane built in to swing in and out the chucks when you are removing and installing them? I can imagine that those chucks are too heavy for one man to manage without a crane or hoist of some kind. Gosh I would love to have a big ole huge lathe like that. Problem is I didn't win the lottery, so I definately can't afford that ticket for admission...
Bob

We have a 2 ton overhead crane ( ceiling mounted rails) to handle the large work pieces plus installing the chuck.

If that's a screw on chuck like my South Bend 9A, I'd hate to have that spin off in reverse and be standing next to it.

Must be a sweet job you've got.

Oophaaaaaaaah! Now that's a chuck! :)

Anything by Pratt Burnerd is quality, In Britain chucks by P.B. are considered top class, I have them in my shop on my machines also, I find it of interest that there is Pratt Burnerd in America also.

If that's a screw on chuck like my South Bend 9A, I'd hate to have that spin off in reverse and be standing next to it.

Must be a sweet job you've got.

There are eight large SHCS that hold it on.

I've worked on a few large items, here's a centrifically spun stainless steel casting for a nuclear facility. 30" in diameter and 60" long. It weighed 5500 lbs when it was done. The raw casting cost $25,000.

Yes, that me

DCP_1809.jpg

I had to look up the Puma to see what it could do. What I found the most interesting was the visual comparison to the Star Trek shuttle craft from the original series. Can you say HUGE!

I have few friends that work at nuc plants, mostly maintainence. One is just finishing a refit and worked about 9 months of 72 hr weeks. Not for me, I work to live not live to work.
Pierre

Back