NPT 1/8 x 27: dies vary in diameter

visenfile

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A common need in auto work is to deal with sensors having 1/8 x 27 NPT male thread such as OEM pressure switches and aftermarket gauge kits. Just solved a problem with a supplied sensor which would not start into the engine block female because the new sensor measured .020" larger along the taper than the one removed. After stewing around and double checking the threads between the two sensors I turned to the two 1/8 - 27 dies I had. One an older Craftsman with split design allowing some adjustment on "fit," and another solid one in a metric set without that feature. It appeared that the metric die might reduce the diameter problem so I carefully lubed and ran that die on the "oversized" gauge male. That reduced the diameter of the thread and allowed it to enter the block female.

Why is there variation die to die? Being tapered it seems the die manufacturers ( in this case at least) chose two different points along the taper to form their dies??? I know there are classes of fit for straight threading, but this experience reminds me of how threading is done on a lathe with the final being checked with a die???

NPT sizes do vary, I've seen that too especially with the 1/8-27 size. Fittings and pipe often don't match well, taps also vary
Mark

27TPI & 28TPI? THAT explains my difficulty this past summer fixing the Kid's car...
I did not know that and/or it had not registered.

I have my 1/8-28 BSPT in a box containing only metric taps. It is wrapped with masking tape that I wrote on "1/8"-(28TPI !!!) BSPT!!". Almost as much of a gotcha as 1/2-12 tpi Whitworth stuff... Two nations, separated by a common language, sometimes barely understood by each other, with separate anachronisms passed down over the centuries and for some silly reason (convention) treasured by both as necessary and proper... :)

When ISO set the standards in '71, they should have used the tapered NPT, it's a much better pipe thread than then the straight British pipe thread.

Thanks for the replies. The block is 1ZZ Corolla and others. The sensor taken off has a hex flat with a little sideways "V" next to "27" I took for 27 tpi. The two sensor male threads meshed perfectly as they did with both thread gauges "27" . That gave me the confidence to use the solid (Japan sourced) die. The aftermarket sensor has a label "1/8 - 27 NPT (also Japan sourced) so it looked like apples/ apples and it did hand start and tighten after I "reduced" it. Both sensors and dies are tapered. I closed up the Craftsman split type as much as possible with the adjusting screws, but could not reduce the thread like the other die did. I imagine this problem has vexed many home enthusiasts.

Edit: This problem had me looking at oil cooler "sandwich" adapters which typically have 2 ports threaded 1/8 - 27 NPT (wonder if they would thread?) Luckily, the 3/4 x 16 threaded tube which fastens the adapter to the existing oil filter surface is too short to use for this engine, forcing me back to the die fix - nice $/hassle savings!!!!

The British have both a tapered and a straight: BSPT and BSPP
M

Back