Nudge Burner

Willie van Zyl

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

After some research on the net I found a thread on another forum which details a nudge burner which I like.
http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?2895-How-to-Build-a-Nudge-Burner&

With the above in mind I set out to build this in order to upgrade my furnace from a coal fired unit to a waste oil unit. Building this is explained in the link above so I'm not going to explain that again. Here are a couple of pictures I took of the different parts.
Nudge Burner exploded view.jpg

The following 2 components where made from 20mm round brass. The first one shows the air inlet. I made this so I can connect my compressor to the burner via a quick coupler fitted to the compressor hose.

Air inlet part.jpg

The part below is where the oil line will connect to.

Oil inlet part.jpg

The next part used to be a dome nut.......until I clamped it in the lathes chuck :) It has a 3mm hole on the dome side.

Oil and Air nozzle cap.jpg

Below are the parts making up the oil nozzle. On the right there is the oil tip which was made from 8mm round BMS. I made this by first machining one side to a diameter of 6mm, which was threaded using a die nut. I mounted this in the dividing head on the milling machine and made a 6mm hexagon before returning it to the lathe so the rest could be turned down to 2.8mm. After all of that I drilled a 1mm hole through this tip.
The part on the left was made using a 12mm bolt. It was drilled out with a 5mm drill and the one end was tapped using a 6mm tap. The spiral grooves on the threaded side of the bolt was roughly made using a dremel.

Oil nozzle parts.jpg

This is how it all fits together.

Oil nozzle assembly.jpg

Nudge Burner assembled.jpg

This is the view from the business end.
Nudge Burner front view.jpg

I tested it with water just to see it function (also not to make an oily mess) and it worked better than expected. I plan to test it with oil tonight. I'll first try it out on some aluminium, see how it melts that, then I want to try it on cast iron because I need an angle plate for my milling machine.

Till later.

Nudge Burner exploded view.jpg Air inlet part.jpg Oil inlet part.jpg Oil and Air nozzle cap.jpg Oil nozzle parts.jpg Oil nozzle assembly.jpg Nudge Burner assembled.jpg Nudge Burner front view.jpg

I did consider the babington burner as well. I actually looked at the one you made and it looks good. The only concern I have, which might not be valid, is that it seems to have potential to not burn some of the oil that drips down making it necassary to recycle oil.

I tried getting my burner fired up now but I only get a whole lot of smoke and no flames! I'm not sure what is causing my issue. I will have to play a bit more.

A freind of mine has made one like in the pics...
We put a .007 hole for the air hole at the end, for the "atomizing" hole so to speak...
I think he said it was working just grand !

I could not get my burner to work at all. I'm busy building an oil tank which will be presurised. I think the problem migth be that I'm getting too much air and not enough oil comming through.

I could not get my burner to work at all. I'm busy building an oil tank which will be presurised. I think the problem migth be that I'm getting too much air and not enough oil comming through.
I have a similar burner and use a propane tank with a fill neck attached to it. I keep it pressurized with a regulator at about 10 PSI. I'm able to start the furnace with an oily rag. No need for propane pre-heat, just light the rag, turn on the air, and slowly open the oil needle valve.

[video=youtube_share;N7jetgPkjd0]http://youtu.be/N7jetgPkjd0[/video]

Nice Gadget! (pun intended)..... I hope I can get my burner to perform like that once the pressurized oil tank, ex propane tank, is done.

Nice Gadget! (pun intended)..... I hope I can get my burner to perform like that once the pressurized oil tank, ex propane tank, is done.
Yours looks very similar to mine, I'm sure it will work fine. Just keep the pressure on the oil tank regulated and under 20 pounds for safety. I've found running air pressure around 40 PSI once the burner is warmed up is the hottest. The air provided by the vacuum motor really doesn't help that much. Put a good needle valve on the oil line to regulate the flow.
Dan

Back