O/T . Whatcha listenin to ?

If my signature line had a list of my favorite bands it would be in order:

Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Ozzy, then it just gets away from me at that point and devolves into Megadeth, Tool, GNR, Metallica, etc.

Now that I think about it, this is simply evidence that I'm a product of MTV in the 90s....

...except for the Primus part.

Today I'll be listening to my all time favorite . The sweet sounds of a Kubota diesel at 2000 rpm . It is a beautiful day down here in Md . Took the dogs out on a long walk and now gravitating to the outside readying a bonfire for the evening . There will be garage time also , so the new country station that I hate will get some ear attention from me . :rolleyes:

Channel 388 on Direct tv, classic rock, does anyone remember KMET in LA, strike the burner with Mary Turner, the fish report on Fridays. The movie FM plays homage to that crazy bunch.

Great subject! I am nearly 60 so adjust accordingly-

Got a huge pile of old and not-so-old Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Hank Jr. and Sr. I hated this stuff as a kid. My dad was hardcore. I called it "cows wailing". He and my Uncle both said "Someday, You'll Understand". Yup, just like Creedence said I would.
Merle has no peer, but Johnny ain't no slouch. Understand the dues they paid, and it will deepen the experience.

I got into 70's rock like Creedence, Eagles, Billy Joel, Elton John and all that because the radio was King. My brother and his buds were a bit more sophisticated? and turned me on to Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Yes, Queen, Sabbath and other "heavy" stuff. I still think Pink Floyd spoke to my generation, and at least two more, both forward and back. Have you ever worked for a "Dog"? Are YOU a Dog? I sure try not to be.....
My brother and them went HEAVY, like 5 Finger, Puddle of Mud, and more I cannot name. That stuff does NOT do a DANG thing for me.

Just gonna put something on and go to work? I hit SXM "Outlaw Country" or "Deep Tracks", depending on the DJ.

Well, you seem to have hit a chord with this one. I didn't see any mention of Steppenwolfe, so I guess I'll do that one. At least "Born to be Wild", the rest is just so-so. Moody Blues are the same, "Days of Future Past" speaks to me, the rest again is so-so. Most musicians are like that, one or two pieces that speak to me. Their others are just noise. Most any genre has something to fit "ME" and the rest just float by on the wind.

Johnny Cash is for the most part just caterwailing, but there are some that I keep handy. CCR, of course has "It Fell Out of the Sky", which speaks of humanity in general. There are many more, but I can't place their names. But have recordings of it all, just never got around to putting the pieces together.

I do suppose Momma Cass and Simon & Garfunkle deserve a mention as well. As do Kitty Wells and Hank Sr. Hank Jr is just riding his daddy's name and doesn't count for much. The country singers from Hank Sr's day are not really singers, they are more like storytellers. Their singing sux, but the story is well worth listening to.

Tool, A Perfect Circle, Pusifer, and The Deftones.
I'm 52, and I know that I should be listening to classic rock, but they never come out with any new music!

Chevelle, Godsmack, Three Days Grace, not a lot but there is a hint of rock still out there. Tool has a new album.

Back