Odd Delivery This Morning

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was in the shop, running off a small job on the milling machine, when a friend pulled in the driveway, with his 2 kids (roughly 13-15 yrs old), for a visit. He returned the 1” drive ratchet he borrowed (some kind of bulldozer repair) and the boys carried in (2) 5 gallon pails of used drill bits, from roughly 1/8” to 1/2” and a few S&D drill bits. He said the company he works for, throws them in the scrap dumpster, almost on a daily basis, it appears the mechanics use them once, then heave them. I already have some drill bits to resharpen, now the pile is about 3 times larger.

So It looks like I have some work ahead of me, some quality time between me and the drill doctor.

I was not expecting the drill bits, but will gladly accept them. Here are some that I’ll work on this afternoon. If I could get my 14 yr old grandson to run the drill doctor, alas he is going home today.

258247DE-565B-46D6-8552-22573E103605.jpeg

They must be using them more than once, nobody is that rich :)
Well, maybe uncle Sam
-Mark

If you charged time and materials. Use them once, throw them out, buy new in bulk at wholesale prices, and charge customer retail.

Welp, I set up, a table, propped up the right leg into a position that hurt the least, then proceeded to run the drill doctor for a number of hours. I sorted the bits, into piles, those 3/8” and below, those 25/64” and above and those that seemed to be totally unused, which seem to be about 40% of those in the buckets. I then grabbed the 3/8” and below drills bits and proceeded to sharpen about 400 of them. They now set in a plastic bin to be sorted by size and put into storage, for later use. I also did the 115 drills (fractional 1/16” to 1/2”, number bits 1-60 and letter bits A to Z) that resides on the Franken-Drill base cabinet.

Wowsers! You done done a whole bunch-a-lot! And congratulations on the score ... You've got a very nice friend.

Great progress Jack, but don't over do it!
You gotta nurse the injuries a bit to help heal.
-brino

Great progress Jack, but don't over do it!
You gotta nurse the injuries a bit to help heal.
-brino

yeah, taking it easy, now in the recliner watching the qualifying for the Austrian F1 GP

used 3 different drill doctors, I did not want to abuse any of them, I wonder how many thousands that have been done over the yrs.

Back