Odd thread pitch question

Good eye xtropic and P.Waller! Square thread it is.
Soooo.... Back to the drawing board...

Unfortunately this is a Dunlap Lathe sold by Sears.

Thanks. I'm not sure plastic would work on leadscrew half nuts, especially since mine are offset and don't clamp together.

It will work, but you need the ingenuity to make, trim and mount the plastic into your lathe's mechanism.

A little late, I know. But that's me, a day late and a dollar short.

I butt in here to bring up an old technique used in Gingery's first book on the lathe. He uses a mold around the leadscrew and casts a babbit half nut set, or three. It is involved what all is necessary. Candle smoke on a greasless screw is the least of the set-ups. But done with a lot of hard work and a chunk of babbit and a fire. Could just as well use lead or tin(shorter life) or any other low melting point metal such as bismuth, et al. As I recall, the extra pair I acquired for my 12" Craftsman was of babbit. They're still on the shelf, sitting around just in case.

I have some stuff for my models that melts below the boiling point of water. A bismuth alloy that I don't know how long it would stand up. But a starting point, once you find the book. I had a set but gave it to a maker's group a while back. Could maybe run it down but I haven't been active for a couple of years. And Gingery is retired, or maybe even deceased. Who knows? Some of his books are still around, at www.yotb.com or somesuch. Your Old Time Bookstore is the English name for the place. A maybe worst case solution, but I'm proud that my memory still works that good. Just wish the rest of me was in that shape.
Bill Hudson​
Edit: The link didn't work. Best look it up with a search engine. BH

Thanks for the ideas Bi11Hudson, I have a tap made for me by pdentrem. Part way through the repair, but short on time.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Back