Odd vibration in back gear ??...

I wouldn't doubt there is less vibration in one position than the other- I don't think the factory took great pains to balance the parts on these little lathes
m

About 15 years ago my Dad brought home a used belt drive table saw from a garage sale. He cleaned it all up lubed what he could and powered it up, it shook so much it was scary. What was wrong was it must have sat unused for a long time and the belt took the shape of the radius of the pulleys just like old bias play tires used to flat spot. We put a link type belt on it and like magic it ran smooth.

It isn't surprising that the new link belt ran more smoothly than the old V-belt. Old V-belts that aren't used get stiff and take a set. Once in a while, after a few hours running, they will smooth back out. However, the best solution is to just replace it with a new good quality V-belt of the proper (same?) size. The trick is to inspect the belt at the joint before you buy it. If the belt gets thicker at the joint or if the two ends aren't aligned, the belt will thump every revolution.

Back