Ode to Screw Jacks

That sure is a pretty jack ya got there. Build it yourself? Got any to sell?:big grin:

not a standalone unit, but Brockwood's bandsaw pic reminded me of the screw jack I built into my new 4x6 vise jaws
IMG_9365.JPG

the threaded part attached to the moving jaw flips up to allow quick repositioning (or removal) of the screw. It's really handy and I've used it way more than i thought I would.

I do need to make some actual screw jacks though, could have used them several times, eg:
IMG_9348.JPG

made do with a carriage bolt and nut, but a screw jack would have been so much easier

I don't have a photo, but I did use a machinist jack when I resealed the track adjuster on my D-8H-46A. When I reinstalled the rod (with stiff plastic cup attached) in the bore of the adjuster, it didn't want to slip in. In order to get it started, I put he jack between the idler yoke and the end of the rod and extended the screw. Once the seal got fully in the bore, I was able to collapse it enough to reassemble the system.

It was a big advantage to apply the pressure directly in line with the axis of the bore, and to have full control over the amount of pressure applied. The amount of torque it took to turn the screw gave feedback on how well the seal was entering the bore.

Back