Oh no, another drum switch dilemma!

I just found the problem- an oversight on my part. My sketch is bypassing the motor's centrifugal switch.
Good ol' Dayton. Let me come up with a solution (after I wipe the egg off my face)
-M
OK, yes I think the best thing is to bring both red and black out. I'll do another sketch. No, not 3 and 4- but you're close

Try this: The thing I missed is how the centrifugal switch is connected behind the terminal board. Very tricky, Dayton, but not tricky enough :cool:
Dayton+Drum240V2.jpeg

Try this: The thing I missed is how the centrifugal switch is connected behind the terminal board. Very tricky, Dayton, but not tricky enough :cool:
View attachment 344142
OK, Sounds good, One question. Since the rotation is correct with the black on #1 would attaching the red on # 4 work ? or should I do it as shown here?

Try it as drawn first- You may need to swap them- either at the switch or the motor whichever is easier. Swapping 3 and 5 will do the same thing.
-M
ps Your motor was unusual in having one side of the centrifugal switch tied internally to one of the power lugs. First time I have seen that. Otherwise, the original sketch would have worked. I always go for the simplest solution with the fewest number of wires first. The Daytons seem to have some of the most confusing wiring schemes because of all the "behind the scenes" hidden connections. It's meant to simplify things but it often does the opposite

You'll notice that this hookup does not break both sides of the power line. No way to do that with the switch you have. Some find that objectionable, but I don't really consider it unsafe, as long as the machine is well grounded. Always kill the power before working on the wiring.

The real downside of drum switches is that you can reach for the switch to shut off the motor but instead throw it into reverse- the result being that the motor will happily keep running in the same direction it was. These motors need to come to almost a complete stop before reversing. Use care.

Last edited:
Try it as drawn first- You may need to swap them- either at the switch or the motor whichever is easier
-M
OK I'm in the process of wiring as the drawing. One last question and hope this doesn't sound stupid. Since the red and black motor wire belong to the 3 & 5 connection in the motor but are extended to 1 & 4 on the switch , am I adding another another wire from 3 & 5 in the motor to 2 & 3 in the switch? Hope this doesn't sound stupid but by adding a jumper to 1 & 2 and from 3 & 4 be the same thing? Or just tell me to quit thinking and hook it up like the drawing and watch the sparks fly! :nail biter:

No it's a valid question. Yes it's the former. You will extend red and black to go to switch 1 and 4, and add wires from motor 3 and 5 to switch 2 and 3.
So a total of six wires to motor plus ground
Remember the diagram in the switch cover: The contacts connect either vertical or horizontal, which swaps the red and black with respect to the motor 3 and 5 terminals. As if you pulled the red and black off yourself and re-plugged them, for forward and reverse

Last edited:
No it's a valid question. Yes it's the former. You will extend red and black to go to switch 1 and 4, and add wires from motor 3 and 5 to switch 2 and 3.
So a total of six wires to motor plus ground
Remember the diagram in the switch cover: The contacts connect either vertical or horizontal, which swaps the red and black with respect to the motor 3 and 5 terminals. As if you pulled the red and black off yourself and re-plugged them, for forward and reverse
SUCCESS! Well Mark that did it. I had to switch 3 & 5 for the correct rotation. It purrs like a kitten! I got to tell you that I can't thank you enough for all your help! How you figured that out is beyond me. I tip my hat to your expertise. Wile-e-coyote, Genius!

Well that's a big load off my mind because I new I would of never figured that out on my own. All of the threads I've read and youtube's I watched didn't relate to my switch. I new that was going to be a challenge. Again I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this.
Mike :beer:

ps: Just curious as to what switch would break both sides of the power line that you mentioned .But believe me I'm not getting another switch. I'm quite happy with what I got. I found a wiring diagram for that old Furnas switch. I may put it on my Jet wood lathe, and that's a big maybe. My Powermatic has reverse built in.

Glad to hear- I've seen some imported switches on Amazon that would have enough contacts, something like a 6 pole switch with 12 terminals. Some of the Furnas switches will break both lines- but only for 120 volts, and probably not with the motor you have, unless you made a slight wiring mod.
They can take a bit of head-scratching to figure out though, compared to what we just did here- enjoy
;)

Last edited:
Back