Oh No, Another One Followed Me Home

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This showed up on Craigslist this morning. It's a Canedy-Otto Number 24 bench drill press. The price was right, so it followed me home. I am guessing that it's about 90 years old and in amazing shape. The owner said that his grandfather owned and cobbled up a motor for it. The motor isn't that old. I sure wish that it had the original one.

Vintage Machinery didn't have much info on it. Does anyone here know anything about this model drill press? I am going to clean this one up and put it in a place of honor.

IMG_20180804_144409.jpg

IMG_20180804_144418.jpg

IMG_20180804_144426.jpg

Nice, Canedy-Otto made good stuff.

I find this in my 1924 Mc & Mc catalogue here if it's of any use to you. They were purveyors of general hardware and logging supplies here on the coast and are not significant to your machine other than contextual reference for the specifications and/or cost. Don't be alarmed at the price -- it's in Canadian dollars.... ;)

image.jpeg

-frank

Randy that’s a real nice drill press.
Cheers
Martin

Thanks guys. It's going to look a lot nicer in a couple of weeks. The design just appeals to me. I have never seen a small drill press with a miter (crown) gear drive before.
Randy

That thing is beautiful!
Great find.
-brino

That is one really nice little machine! It appears that the base plate was finished on a shaper.

This showed up on Craigslist this morning. The motor isn't that old. I sure wish that it had the original one.
Randy--very good find--it didn't have an original motor--just the one that drove the line shaft---maybe you need to put a line shaft in your shop--I have several machines that were originally driven from a line shaft---Dave

Yeah, that base plate was either done on a shaper or a horizontal milling machine. Very linear striations.
At this point the drill press is going to keep the electric motor. No more flat belts ;-)

Randy

I love the old iron, so beautifully engineered and manufactured.
Good job on the build.

Back