Oh poop, and everything was going so well!

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Long story... here's the read's digest version. A couple of weeks ago I bought a pickup load of machining tools, cutters, accessories, chucks, collets, etc. etc. along with a Jet JVM-836-1 milling machine (he delivered with his trailer). The deal was too good to turn down since this stuff had been in his garage stored for over ten years... a lot of stuff had surface rust on it, but for the most part, was only cosmetic and doesn't effect performance at all. Most items are cleaning up very nicely and other that some occasional dark tarnish you would never know that it had been neglected.

On my request, he tested the mill out and from sitting there both the motor and switch ended up being bad. The start capacitor and start windings burned out when he tested it and the switch contacts burned together. Since this was an older machine, the only motor Jet has for replacement was the current mill's model and that, along with all the parts necessary to modify the new motor to fit this older machine and to get things going would have cost close to $1000 (from Jet)! He didn't have the money to get it repaired so this lowered the price a lot more. So I bought everything for a nice price, since he wanted to get his garage cleaned out and just wanted everything gone!

So, rather than spend $1000 with Jet I bought a new 1-1/2 HP motor from Surplus Center and a new Dayton reversing drum switch from eBay for a little less than $300 total. I had to modify things since the original motor, step pulley, motor mounting plate were all metric and I replace it with a standard C faced motor, but that's not an issue and things turned out very nicely. Got everything wired up (with the help of a TechTop applications engineer since this motor had 7 leads instead of 6 and I wanted to make sure I was hooking up the reversing switch correctly) and the mill ran fine for a whole day. Then, when I started the motor after a few hours of operation it made an awful noise while running! Not bearing noise, but electrical growling. Seemed to run at speed, but it was obvious something wasn't right. Shut it right down and started checking all connections, voltages, etc. and everything checked out OK. Put my current clamp on L1 (one leg of 220 volt) going in and tried again.... the meter jumped around between 25-30 amps! (motor drew ~ 2.2 amps after first hooking it up).

Called Surplus Center this afternoon (12/23) and they don't have a customer rep working until 12/28. I'll call again then and see what they say. Hopefully, they will send me a return UPS label and send out another motor. One thing I saw on the motor was the date of manufacture was 2003! For the price I'm OK with that, but I want a motor that works!

Other than that, I was very happy with the motor and it seems to be of very good quality (TechTop). It is made in China, but I was really impressed with it. Farm duty, double ball bearings, thermally protected, very nice fit and finish, heavy lead wires, etc.. I know some will bash motors made in China, but TechTop seems to be one of the better ones IMO.

Not going to open the motor up (although I did open the two cap containers just to make sure no leads came loose with use), because I'm sure that would be an issue with the vendor. I'm guessing that there is something up with the centrifugal switch since it was running great when I shut if off, but later it had issues starting it back up. Seems like if it was something else, it would have raised it's head while it was running. Just a guess...

I'll keep you posted on how Surplus Center backs their products. If they treat me good, no harm no fowl, even though it is disappointing.

Ted

I had a similar problem with a 2 hp motor. It seems it didn't like to be reversed. As long as I run it one way it's fine. When I try to make it go the other way through the drum switch, is makes a sound like a sack full of angry bobcats! Jake Parker

Sounds like just bad luck, shorted winding. It happens sometimes.
M

I spent $100 on a motor repair because a wire wiggled itself over and prevented the centrifugal switch from opening. Make a terrible noise and smoked a lot! Maybe similar?

I spent $100 on a motor repair because a wire wiggled itself over and prevented the centrifugal switch from opening. Make a terrible noise and smoked a lot! Maybe similar?

I didn't let it run long enough to smoke, but yeah, my first suspicion would be the centrifugal switch not opening. But, since it's brand new I'm not going to open it up to verify. I checked the run windings and they are each about .8-.9 ohms, nothing goes to ground and I can see the caps taking a charge from my meter in the start circuit, so I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Ted

Super bummer to have to stop everything to wait for a store to open, (to get warranty). Especially over a holiday when people have more shop time. I have to wait till after the holiday to get metal stock to start a project, and it’s killing me!

Update: Surplus Center customer support was back to work today after their Christmas holiday so I gave them a call. They asked that I remove the motor data nameplate and mail it to them. As soon as they get it they will send me another motor. The tech said they have seen some problems with these older surplus TechTop farm duty motors, but they have also seen a lot that are trouble free and running fine. The TechTop application engineer I called yesterday (very nice and helpful guy) said the same thing.

So, since they didn't want the motor back, after removing the tag I decided to open it up and see what I could see. My suspicion was correct. The contacts on the centrifugal switch were stuck together keeping the start winds/cap energized after it was up to speed. I popped them open and cleaned them by pinching them together on some note paper and pulling it through several times.

Motor works fine again now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they stick again. Hopefully, it will last me until the replacement gets here and the replacement will perform without issues. It will be a while before I get it and they are closed two days for New Year's so that will slow things down even more.

Ted

Ted, did you get the new motor and get this all sorted?

Yep, new motor is on and working well. Surplus Center has stood behind their product, which is very good for a "surplus" dealer and I will continue to buy from them and recommend them to friends.

Ted

Thanks, glad it is sorted and good feedback on Surplus Center. I have bought lots of stuff from them over the past few years with good success too.

Back