Ohh Boy

sycle1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Do research on quickchange toolposts to find toolpost with quick fitting ability to fit a small lathe with 6 inch swing.
Double check with you tube users and Shars and other sites info.
Feeling confident I am onto the right toolpost.
Make purchase on Ebay including extra tool holders, just because you need a couple more.
Get new OXO Quick tool post from ebay, Yay!
Clean and make all adjustments to get said toolpost on lathe working smoothly Yay!
Fit toolpost to lathe. Check tool post adjustment with lathe tool to centre using tailstock with dead centre.
Yep only to find maximum height adjustment of tool holders comes up 1/8" short of centre DOH!!!
Back to ebay to buy AXA set.
So if anyone needs an OXO set with 7 tool holders. give me a yell.

Haha
I just don't need any more reason for Chatter!

Interesting OXA tool post too small for a 6" lathe? I had an 8" lathe and the AXA was too big, had to modify the holders. What lathe do you have? I'm just curious is all.

It is a Chinese Hafco AL320GMain_1.jpg

I thought for sure it wouldn't be an Asian import lathe. Just looked it up. I see now, you were describing half the swing. Here in the US that would be called a 12x lathe.

Ahh I though the swing was the gap measurement free of the chuck to the ways. Doh!!!!

I get confused sometimes. 320mm would be 12" but I remember something like that in some countries they size the lathe by half the swing. Maybe it's the pic that is deceiving but that doesn't look like a 12" lathe. If it is it's a 12x23?

In the US lathes are sized by the diameter of the workpiece that it can swing. But whatever, as long as you get the right TP that you need. For a 12x import lathes they are boderline between AXA & BXA. Like my 12x36 I use a BXA but not all 12X lathes can fit BXA. Looks like you should be good with AXA.

Back