Oil Can #2

I was greatly inspired by Hackmasters beautiful oil can clone. I decided to do a run of my own with a simpler design. It was suggested that I start a new thread here and not hijack the other thread.
The plan was originally solid brass. I realized that the pump housing would add too much weight so I went with an aluminum pump housing.

I was sort of emulating this original as posted by Hackmaster:

EAGLE66.jpg

Here is the base pattern:

14%2B-%2B3.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

Its about 3/16" thick at the edge. I will turn it down more when it is brass.

R

Attachments

• EAGLE66.jpg
    EAGLE66.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 764
  • EAGLE66.jpg
    EAGLE66.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 763
  • 14%2B-%2B3.jpg
    14%2B-%2B3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 759
  • 14%2B-%2B3.jpg
    14%2B-%2B3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 757
  • 14%2B-%2B2.jpg
    14%2B-%2B2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 757
  • 14%2B-%2B2.jpg
    14%2B-%2B2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 759
  • 14%2B-%2B1.jpg
    14%2B-%2B1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 757
  • 14%2B-%2B1.jpg
    14%2B-%2B1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. As a new member I'm glad to contribute here.
The screws can be found here:

Fastenal:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products?term=0179607&searchMode=

Be careful on the price! For some reason the 3/8 x 24 x 1" are $7.91 each but the 3/8 x 24 x 1.25" are $0.27????
Also, you will find that the heads are not centered to the shafts so chucking on the threads becomes necessary.

McMaster has the SS ones:
part number 92240A354

R

EDIT: And really Hackmaster should get most of the credit for the original idea. I had no interest in oil cans until I saw his awesome work!

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. As a new member I'm glad to contribute here.
The screws can be found here:

Fastenal:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products?term=0179607&searchMode=

Be careful on the price! For some reason the 3/8 x 24 x 1" are $7.91 each but the 3/8 x 24 x 1.25" are $0.27????
Also, you will find that the heads are not centered to the shafts so chucking on the threads becomes necessary.

McMaster has the SS ones:
part number 92240A354

R

Thank you very much. I just ordered some.

Another compliment, great work and writeup.

Would you you please give an update on the can works for the cooking oil. Leaking oil on the countertop is a bit of a pet peeve for me.

Another compliment, great work and writeup.

Would you you please give an update on the can works for the cooking oil. Leaking oil on the countertop is a bit of a pet peeve for me.

I will. I am hoping to calibrate it as in x number of pumps per tablespoon.
I see you are from the CLT. Small world!
R

A
Very nice work, my hat is off to you! Isn't there some kind of galvanic corrosion between brass and aluminum though?

Very nice work, my hat is off to you! Isn't there some kind of galvanic corrosion between brass and aluminum though?

Now you tell me!
I assume all dissimilar metals have this. I don't think it will be a big problem in practice. I will let you know in a few years!
R

A
Now you tell me!
I assume all dissimilar metals have this. I don't think it will be a big problem in practice. I will let you know in a few years!
R

Haha okay!

I have a homemade book press in the barn, aluminum plates and a piece of brass allthread through it. There is significant corrosion on the entire thing, but the only thing locked up was the allthread/aluminum mating surfaces. But it has been out in a barn in NY (Hot and very humid summers) for 15-16 years so I'm sure that must be part of it.

Sorry if I have made you worried haha, but since it's in a oil can after all I doubt it will be a problem in your situation. If something happens some mylar sheet between the pump body and brass tube will stop all contact. Roll it up into a tube, slip it in the body.

Back