Oil Cross References

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Well I am nearly days away from finally starting my new to me lathe, how ever I am having trouble finding some oil for the carriage in it. The owners manual calls for Shell Tonna 33, I have done some googling to find a cross for it and have found very little. One place I found said that 30 weight non detergent motor oil was what should be used in its place. Being a little leary of that, I went to my local bulk oil retailer and asked them what to use in place of the Tonna. They kinda gave me a blank stare, did some looking on there computers and a few phone calls later came up with nothing. So does anyone know what to use instead of it?!? Thanks all for all your help.

That is a way oil. mobile vectra #2 should be fine

Looks like it was replaced with Shell Tonna S3 M 32, which is a slide way oil just like Mobil Vactra or Chevron way like I use. I'm sure Shell changed the destination so it would fall in line with the new ISO nomenclature.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking at the Mobil Vactra #2 oil it appears to be a 68 weight oil, now I am just assuming that the Tonna 33 is a 33 weight oil wouldn't I be better with Mobil Vactra #1 as its listed as a 32 weight? Thanks again for the help!

The Shell Tonna 33 oil is not a 33 weight oil. It was available in three different weights according to Shell's website, including ISO weight 68. Remember Shell Tonna 33 was replaced with Shell Tonna S3. Apparently, Shell made this change after Clausing posted the above on their website.

Thought I would post an update. Phoned my local to me Mobil dealer and found he had 2 5 gallon pales in stock, so I picked on up tonight. Should be a lifetime supply for me! Actually was surprised at the price of it, was cheaper then I thought it would be.

Back