Oil for the 618

Pr3ssure

Registered
Registered
So I'm wondering two things. One, what is SAE 20 oil? The manual for the 618 says to oil with SAE 20. Read somewhere that 5w-20 is almost the same but can I just get SAE 20 still? Dont think I've ever heard of just 20 viscosity oil. Two, regarding the bearings. Two of the oil spots are the bearings, says oil daily. After I clean the bearings what should I do? Grease them up or just use oil. I'm not sure about mixing oil and grease. Also, how should I clean the bearings? I'm thinking either soap and warm water or degreaser then soap and water. Don't want the degreaser to hurt the bearings though so I'm not sure.

Ok, just found out that the 3 in 1 oil is SAE 20. Do they sell it in bigger containers though?

One might wonder what the subject is all about; what the machine is, what type bearings they are etc. SAE 20 sounds like an engine oil, not a machine oil. If you are talking about a precision grinding spindle, whether a plain or ball bearing, the oil should be pretty light, and designated as a spindle oil; "3 in one" is heavier than most spindle oils.

It's the atlas 618, it has roller bearings. Thought the machine would be apparent since it's in the atlas section. New to the forum though. SAE 20 is what the manual says to oil every part of the lathe with. The 3 in 1 in the blue bottle says sae 20 motor oil and has a picture of an electric motor. I really just need to know how to clean the bearings and if the 20 comes in more than 4oz bottles.

Also as far as I can tell the bearings are all steel. No nylon or anything. They are timken brand roller bearings.

Greetings, i also have an Atlas 618. I use the 3-1 motor oil for the bearings and counter shaft, works great. As far as bigger size i don't know, but a little goes a long way. The bearings should have Gits oilers with flip up tops, there should be some felt inside so just a drop or two of oil is enough.
You should not have to clean the bearings if they have the dust covers in place.

I'm restoring my lathe. I have it completely taken apart, should have mentioned that. I'm stripping the paint and removing rust, repainting and changing any broken parts. It was free to me, my dad found it being thrown away up in NY. Only thing missing was the tailstock and the change gears. It worked alright before I stripped it down but it definitely needed some TLC. I've also just figured out how to take apart the 3 jaw chuck. Wondering if I should grease or oil the inside of it. I've got it in the electrolysis tank now to get the little bit of rust from the inside.

That's exactly what i did 2 years ago. I bought new Timken bearings, they only cost around $80. Can. from Motion Industries. If you have not already you should download a manual. You should use oil for the chuck, grease and swarf don't get along. Be gentle with the spindle, that's the most important part of the lathe.

I haven't tried getting the bearing off from the right side, when looking at the front of the lathe. I have a bunch of timken bearings, brand new. I'm pretty sure I have one that is the same as the right one. Neither really need replacing but if I can get it off I will replace that one.

The fear is the detergents in modern motor oil will gum up the works. Use non-detergent oil.

Back