Oil for the 618

Like I said, I take mason jars and fill up a couple at a time.... no minimum, it’s great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Send me a pm and we’ll set it up. And we’ll get you some 20W too, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha, worst case I'm sure they ship to the US. I found some options on google in a quick search but it was all 5 gallons or a few ounces. Also a lot of stuff on horizontal drilling came up, like drilling for oil in the earth.
One option in the USA is BlueChip Machine Shop. They have a section on lubricants that includes spindle oil and way oil:

I bought my way oil from KBC Tools in Canada. Their selection of way oils (10 to 50 weight) is at:

I got:

Way_oil_jug.jpg

Hope this helps,

Craig

Mobile DTE Oil, Heavy-Medium, Circulating Oil, ISO 68 is what I have actually used for the past decade or so. Last time that I bought it was from Enco for about $22 US per gallon. Enco no longer exists and I'm sure the cost today will be higher.. Tractor Supply had SAE 20 ND for a while but I understand that they have discontinued it. But the Mobile DTE works as well. And should always be available from someone.

I forgot to comment on the spindle bearings. One thing that you DO NOT want to do is to put grease on them during assembly. What will eventually happen is that the grease will harden. Over time and depending upon where it got slung during the first few minutes of operation, grease could block the oil from getting to the rollers. There is no way to tell that without pulling the spindle. So don't put grease on the spindle bearings.

At this point, someone sometimes mentions that automotive wheel bearings are tapered roller and use grease. But wheel bearings are easy to service compared to spindle bearings. Plus they are run looser than spindle bearings. And finally, the reason that they run grease instead of oil is that with oil, they soon leak. Which is an issue on vehicles but not on lathes.

MOBIL Mobil DTE 25 ISO 46 about $35 Gallon, you can order this from Walmart for store pickup, (use for SAE 20). You can also find light weight hydraulic fluid at places like Tractor Supply for even less but typically 2 gallon jugs are the smallest size.

Air compressor oil is also non-detergent but is typically SAE 30 so it will be slightly thicker.

Mobil Vactra 2 Way Oil also about $35 Gallon.

A gallon of each will last you a long long time!

Actually, either one should be acceptable. ISO 68 in all of the tables that I have falls near the high end of SAE 20. And ISO 46 is near the low end. So technically, both cross to SAE 20.

Actually, either one should be acceptable. ISO 68 in all of the tables that I have falls near the high end of SAE 20. And ISO 46 is near the low end. So technically, both cross to SAE 20.

Any chance you’d post that table.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That chart plus two others are now in Downloads as a .ZIP file. I uploaded it yesterday but got sidetracked before I could post the info. In Downloads, first click on where it says to Click Here 1st and then scroll down and open (click on) Lubrication & Lubricants .

Back