Oil less compressors

I would agree with those that posted before me. I have both an oil less and one with an oil sump. The oil less is directly coupled to the motor and runs at 1750 rpm. It has a maximum pressure output of 3.5 CFM @ 125 psi. The specifications page rates the pump life at 500 hrs. It's far noisier than the one with the oil sump. The oil sump style compressor runs at a speed of 875 rpm and puts out 6.2 CFM @ 150 psi. This compressor life is rated at 8,000+ hours. I have no idea how many hours were on this compressor when I bought it used about 10 years ago. I do know it's run more than 500 hours in my shop, and will probably run several thousand more.

The oil sump compressor is a 2 stage unit built in 1966. It was built in Milwaukee under the name Henke Pacemaker. like most compressors it's built from off the shelf parts. The compressor itself is a Kellogg model 311. The tank is made by Sullivan Industries, the pressure switch is made by General and the motor is a generic 1.5 hp 1750 rpm. The truth be known there are only about half a dozen compressor manufacturers in the world. They either make complete units under multiple names to satisfy certain price points, or sell them to companies that make complete units from off the shelf parts and sell them under their own name brands.

A buddy had an oilless years ago. Used it for airing up low tires, and very little more. It died, and he asked me to look at it. When I tore it down, I discovered how they 'work' with no oil- ball bearing for the crank to connecting rod joint, and zero, as in NO, wrist pin. Piston and con rod are one piece. The piston wobbles or tilts, following the angle of the conrod as it goes around with the crank. The 'rings', very loosely termed, looked like a piece of construction paper cupped around the top of the piston, and treated with some sort of lacquer? It screamed 'CHEAP' to me, and I have been advertising them as such since then. Personally, I would not spend $20 on one.

Mine was the same way. In a year it was worn out and would run, but, not make pressure. To get any pressure I would pour gear oil into the intake. The piston ring (if you want to call it that) was completely unavailable making the compressor disposable and destine for the landfill.

My buddy just bought a CAT. Remarkably quiet. I believe it is 10 gallon. If large air consumption tools will not be used then a CAT with about 5 cfm would be great.

One of the best things about an oil-less air compressor is how easily it can be modified to also be a vacuum pump while still being a compressor. And even though they are quite loud when running they ultimately handle the task it was given!

Back