Oil or not

Only thing I don't lube up is brass and cast iron.
Steel, aluminium and many plastics all turn out way better with some kind of lubricant, lubricant can depend on the material though.
Usually I just go by the practice that something is better than nothing. If a light oil is all I got nearby, that's what's getting used, good enough for hobby-stuff.

Let's expand the discussion-

Apply by brush, drip, or flood?

I'm in the habit of using chip brushes, and until now have mainly added oil using needle applicator bottles. For hard cuts, I like the castor oil based CRC tapping oil, but I've recently filled the flood reservoir with comparatively light duty Mobilmet 426 swiss machine oil (chambering was the main reason for flood). Not only does it help cutting, but swiss oil takes some heat away too. On the other hand, the castor oil sticks like lizard spit and smells awfuI, but not as bad as heavy threading oil. I haven't quite brought myself to brush on Oatey dark, but I'm considering that as a supplemental for harder cuts. It smokes a lot but has the EP additives that make a difference.

I see the Viper's Venom being raved about on the internet, but I can't imagine it being different than any other end of pipe product with an additive blend. It has to have another label it's sold under, nobody with a garage business is formulating petrochemical products. I'd like to try some, but I'm not going to go throw my money after a slightly modified boutique cutting oil that probably comes in 1,000 gallon totes for pennies on the dollar. Yes, I'm a skeptic by nature.

Back