Oil pump for a Harig Super 612

MarkRoe

Registered
Registered
I have a Harig Super 612 with a dead oil pump. Can anyone recommend a replacement short of getting a factory version? I've heard others using a Little Giant pump on other forums as a replacement but the posts are old and no one provided specific info.

I am looking to just replace it with something simple that runs 110v and I can plug up when using the SG.

I appreciate an suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Mark

It's a manual SG and only has the one pump for the way oil. I ended up tearing the old pump apart, cleaning out the lines and verifying that it is now working.

Well I actually do have a dead pump (way oil) on my Super 612. Are there any thoughts on how to best get around the purchase of a $512 replacement pump on my $600 Harig? Must be a nice low pressure equivalent pump lurking out there somewhere...

This is what I have:

I'd take the pump apart. Can't be anymore than a rotor vane pump. Might be a easy fix. Take that cover off that has the fittings on it a lot will be explained once off. Where does the line go that has the needle valve on it?

I already had it apart to clean the internal screen. It appears that the motor section is potted in order to remain oil resistant. Of course I did all that before I knew it was dead so maybe I will pull it out once again to see if I can get any further. I suspect it is an electrical issue since it doesn't make a sound (like the impeller being stalled etc)... The line with the valve is the one that feeds the saddle ways. You regulate the flow on that circuit to prevent over-running the drains and having oil all over the place. The other line goes to the top reservoir that lubricates the bevel gears for the Z axis and also lubricates the spindle ways.

So what style of pump is it a rotary,piston?
It’s not a bad idea to have it apart and see actual armature spin or not?
My pump is a piston type and the motor spins like 3rpm.

I wound up pulling the pump today and broke it down as far as possible. The pump is a rotary vane pump but just as I thought, it is vacuum potted in some plastic resin. I verified that the pump has open windings because I get infinite impedance on the power cable running into it. Since I had nothing to lose, I started breaking in to the resin potting to see if I could get a look. I found that oil had migrated inside the resin coating and probably screwed up the motor inside.

Does anybody have any clever ideas on how I can repurpose something else to fit the bill? A replacement pump is more expensive than what the grinder is worth.

Oil clearly migrated under the failed resin potting...

Does the motor have any type of markings to indicate rpm or pressures? I have a simply pond pump that’s that size. Can be bought at the big box stores. I use mine for coolant don’t know how the pressures would be with a oil guessing that a metering valve can take care of that.
Can the pump be dismantled from the motor base and be reused? Figure out the rpms and reconfigure a motor to suit the pump. May have to extend shaft so motor is out of oil.

This motor has some fried windings that I don't seem to be able to get at without really beating it up. The potting resin is super tough stuff so it puts up a really good fight. I am thinking this might work with the appropriate valving to partition the flow appropriately. Available from Grainger and it is suitable for kerosene, light oil etc...

No markings on the original pump except "230V 60Hz"

Last edited:
Back