Oil pump for a Harig Super 612

Yeah that looks like it should do the job. The only thing I question is flow.
Idk what kind of flow mine has which is a piston type. All I do know is the plunger goes up maybe 2-3 a min. Over oiling could become a problem I’d think. Idk

For hobby use a one shot oiler would be fine.

Last edited:
You're probably right about the one shot oiler. Contrary to popular belief I am pretty sure these things require fairly modest lubrication requirements. They are not like an automobile engine where the bearing surfaces need to have plenty of pressurized oil to "float" moving parts to prevent friction/heating and failure.

That said, I wanted to maintain the full functionality of the machine so I managed to find this little giant pump for $64 with free delivery. Compare that to the $512 (without delivery) quote I got on the genuine Harig item.

The beauty of this Little Giant is that I could attach the valve/metering block to it exactly like the original so it went together without any modifications. Here it is with the Harig valve block attached-

And here it is doing its thing after I made some adjustments to the valving...

All is good especially given the price of this pump!

I like the little giant idea! I had the same problem, I ended up using a micro in-line diesel fuel pump from edelbrock. It’s 12 volt but it does the job!

Do you have the model number of the little giant pump you used, or the site where you purchased it, at that price I should pick up one Incase my edelbrock pump fails!

Thanks
Ryan

Good info GDS12.
Pump on my 612 still works but if the day comes I’ll know of a cheaper option.

I have been using a little giant pump like the one above for over 5 years on my Harig Super 612. It works great!!
skipd

Here’s a solution I tried, to replace the Harig 612 Ballway Oil Pump.

I purchased a 12V adjustable peristaltic dosing pump on Amazon. Flow rate is 8-70ml. min. The discharge size is 2mm id.

I made brass barbed fittings out of .25 brass rod. Two (2) 2mm x 0.125 reducers, One (1) 0.125 x 0.125 x 0.125 tee with the #57 drill size orifice on branch to the horizontal ways. See the Photos.

The 0.125 Bulkhead barbed fittings are made out of 5/16” bolts. I made all the fittings due to not wanting to wait for the slow boat from china as they were not available at the big box stores.

The pump was placed with the suction and discharge facing down to keep from crimping the hoses. If I was to do it again, I’d locate the pump further left to have better access to the fill cup. Same with the two bulkhead fittings.

I used the existing pump distribution discharge housing that contains the strainer on the pump inlet to the new pump. I connected a 0.125 NPT. X .0125 barbed fitting to the strainer back. The weight of the housing holds the pump inlet tube low in the oil holding sump.

So far this works pretty good… and this only cost around $35 vs $300+.

Attachments

• HARIG OIL PUMP MOD..png
    HARIG OIL PUMP MOD..png
    432.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8838[870].JPG
    IMG_8838[870].JPG
    59 KB · Views: 198
Back