• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• I apologize to anyone who is disappointed with their experience on The Hobby-Machinist.

Anyone who made a donation within the last year who would like a refund, please PM me and I will refund your money.

Again, my apologies.

Nelson

[4]
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ome

Active User
Former Member
What type of oil should be used on the threads of a brown and sharp micrometer?

Richard King

Registered
Registered
They used to call it Instrument Oil when I ordered it years ago, but I would suspect sewing machine or gun oil would work as a substitute. Possibly 3 in 1 oil too.

Shade

Active User
Registered

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I just bought Starrett Instrument Oil online... I will try to see where I got it

Bernie

ki4byz

Active User
Registered
I use naphtha “lighter fluid” to clean and lube all my precision tools.
I have been using it for 30 years with no problems.
Squirt, wipe, blow, squirt, blow, leaving a light film for lube.

Metalmann

Active User
Registered
What type of oil should be used on the threads of a brown and sharp micrometer?

Like these guys suggested, any type of thin oil such as Clipper Oil will be fine.

Precise adjustment of your micrometers take up nuts, is just as important as lube.

Brand names, don't really matter.:winner:

ome

Active User
Former Member
Thank you Guys, i see that Enco sells an instrument oil.
Can acetone be used instead of naptha for cleaning ?

Shade

Active User
Registered
Thank you Guys, i see that Enco sells an instrument oil.
Can acetone be used instead of naptha for cleaning ?
I would stay away from acetone or alcohol they can effect some plastics and paints. Naphtha or Stoddard solvent is safer, aka charcoal lighter fluid.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I would stay away from "3 in 1" oil. It will gum up your mics over time. I recently pulled some from storage that I probably haven't used in 5 or 6 years. Had to work them a little to free them up. I have a bottle of the Starrett instrument oil I now use. Haven't had any problems using it. Ken

Todd

Active User
Registered
the starret instrument oil is what i use. on the bottle it just says that it is a highly refined mineral oil though, so i am sure a good clean mineral oil would work just fine as well

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Starrett 1620 oil is used as a mainstay product across many industries for lubricating precision threads and is readily available. I have a gallon of light turbine oil and also a partially full gallon can of Velocite #3 (ISO 2) spindle oil that I use for the plain bearing spindle in my B&S 2A surface grinder. Both seem to work just fine in micrometers and such over long periods. When I run out of them I might get the Starrett product... ;)

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Just when I thought I knew most everything about oil.. :coffee:

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
the starret instrument oil is what i use. on the bottle it just says that it is a highly refined mineral oil though, so i am sure a good clean mineral oil would work just fine as well
Growing up my Dad used the Starrett instrument oil on his fishing reels the main reason was because it is so highly refined it had less odor. So it good for more than micrometers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[6]
[5] [7]