oil

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
What type of oil should be used on the threads of a brown and sharp micrometer?

They used to call it Instrument Oil when I ordered it years ago, but I would suspect sewing machine or gun oil would work as a substitute. Possibly 3 in 1 oil too.

I just bought Starrett Instrument Oil online... I will try to see where I got it

Bernie

I use naphtha “lighter fluid” to clean and lube all my precision tools.
I have been using it for 30 years with no problems.
Squirt, wipe, blow, squirt, blow, leaving a light film for lube.

What type of oil should be used on the threads of a brown and sharp micrometer?

Like these guys suggested, any type of thin oil such as Clipper Oil will be fine.

Precise adjustment of your micrometers take up nuts, is just as important as lube.

Brand names, don't really matter.:winner:

Thank you Guys, i see that Enco sells an instrument oil.
Can acetone be used instead of naptha for cleaning ?

Thank you Guys, i see that Enco sells an instrument oil.
Can acetone be used instead of naptha for cleaning ?
I would stay away from acetone or alcohol they can effect some plastics and paints. Naphtha or Stoddard solvent is safer, aka charcoal lighter fluid.

I would stay away from "3 in 1" oil. It will gum up your mics over time. I recently pulled some from storage that I probably haven't used in 5 or 6 years. Had to work them a little to free them up. I have a bottle of the Starrett instrument oil I now use. Haven't had any problems using it. Ken

the starret instrument oil is what i use. on the bottle it just says that it is a highly refined mineral oil though, so i am sure a good clean mineral oil would work just fine as well

Back