Oiling The Hf 9x20 Lathe

NodakGary

Active User
Registered
I have a 10 year old 9X20 lathe that I have been trying to get oil into the oil points for some time with not too much luck. I even took off the 120 & 127 teeth gears to expose the bushing while I attempted to shoot in some 20 wt oil. The oiler I am using has a tube tip sanded to a point to push the little ball bearing in the oil point aside while I squeeze the handle to get oil into the bushing. All it does is run down, like the oil point is either clogged or the bushing is full of oil and won't take any more. (Two years ago I had to get another bushing made up as the original one was dry and shot.)
How do you oil your bushings? Are you using any special oiler? I bought a new one today and it does the same thing.
I am wondering if I am wrong trying to push the little ball bearing aside with the oiler tip. Maybe I should have a blunt end on the oiler tube tip and some sort of short flex tube to seal the connection and let the oil pressure push the bearing aside.
How do you do it? Thanks for reading my long plea for help.
NodakGary

Here we go again... I need to put this in a file that can be referenced.

I use standard clear vinyl aquarium tubing, 3/16" O.D., the Dupont name is Tygon, but that is just one brand. It is clear and is commonly used for the filter/aerator bubblers in aquariums. You only need a short piece, an inch or two long. Cut one end off nice and square, that is the business end. Slide the other end over the spout on your oil can. To use it, simply pinch the tubing between thumb and forefinger and push it against the ball oiler, so it seals against the flat surface around the ball. Pump away. No mess, no fuss, You can see the oil start to flow into the fitting. Buy a foot or two of the tubing, it gets hard after a year or so and needs to be replaced.

Do not push those balls into the fitting below flush with the surface. They can move over sideways and get stuck down there. Guess how I know. I never could get it out, and had to buy a new oiler and carefully install it without scratching up the paint on my lathe. I ruined that oiler by using a small metal tip on the oil can, smaller than the ball oiler opening, which pushed the ball in too deep. Don't do it!

The plastic tubing also protects the finish of what you are oiling, no scratches. I have not seen any down side to having the tubing on the oil spout.

Hi Bob
Thank you for your response. I will get some of that tubing Monday and make it up. I was thinking that might be a solution, but, I wanted to hear what the fellows on here had to say. And that sounds like a better way than winding up with the ball pushed into the fitting AND the bushings still dry.
Thank you again. This really is a great site with great, friendly, and knowledgeable people on it.
NodakGary

Back