[4]

Ok, don't laugh...

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ttabbal

Brass
Registered
Find the latest version of the "Book of Mikey". That's got the most important bits in once place. It's still a bit of reading, but it makes sense once you get going. And feel free to ask questions, we have a friendly group over there and on this forum in general. I'll get a square tool ground up and sent out to you so you can give it a go. It's a really great tool design for general turning.

I've gotten a lot of help and even some tool bits and such from people on this forum. So if I can give back a little, I'm game. And I'm curious to hear how it compares for you.

Wow.. no pressure there @mikey. Thanks!

TerryH

I have no clue what I'm doing...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Find the latest version of the "Book of Mikey". That's got the most important bits in once place. It's still a bit of reading, but it makes sense once you get going. And feel free to ask questions, we have a friendly group over there and on this forum in general. I'll get a square tool ground up and sent out to you so you can give it a go. It's a really great tool design for general turning.

I've gotten a lot of help and even some tool bits and such from people on this forum. So if I can give back a little, I'm game. And I'm curious to hear how it compares for you.

Wow.. no pressure there @mikey. Thanks!
Thanks man. I appreciate the help so much.

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
Very good!- no laughing here.

Just a crazy idea (ok, another crazy idea).......I'm assuming you turned both diameters at the same time, so they should be concentric. Now chuck up the smaller dia and indicate the larger diameter. Rotate 60 degrees and indicate again. Repeat. Now you have three measurements of your 3-jaw chuck's run-out. Might be useful to know when you get to other projects.

Jake2465

Registered
The first "thing" that I ever machined. What a great resource HM is. I faced, turned, drilled and threaded on my G8688 lathe after much reading. It was great fun. I didn't even break anything...yet.

Do you normally leave your key in the lathe chuck :)?
That's a pretty nice looking part. Did you use a cut off tool?

TerryH

Do you normally leave your key in the lathe chuck :)?
That's a pretty nice looking part. Did you use a cut off tool?
Hmmm...no :confused 3:, thanks, and yes.

Key is back in it's rightful storage place now. I did use a cut off tool. I tried something that I saw in a video, turning the spindle in reverse with the cutter up side down. Actually worked pretty well with a bit of Tap Magic as I went.

TerryH

:eek: Good catch. I didn't even notice. That was a verbal warning offense where I worked. ;)
Have already received my own verbal warning. :oops:

Jake2465

Registered
It's all good. When I first bought my lathe, I put the key in the chuck because I did not want to loose it. And yes, not long after I turned the lathe on and the key was thrown across the shop. After that, I did not trust myself to remember and I started sitting the key down by the lathe, on the work bench :grin:.

RWanke

Registered
What's bad is I NEVER left the key in at work (big 21" swing Axelson) but I've actually caught myself twice leaving it in the South Bend 9 here at home. :oops:

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
So you've learned , turning to an edge , facing, center drill and drilling and tapping. Nice finish what are you trying next. Good job I remember my vocational school teacher grading us.

TerryH

So you've learned , turning to an edge , facing, center drill and drilling and tapping. Nice finish what are you trying next. Good job I remember my vocational school teacher grading us.
Thanks. You could not imagine how much I wish I had done metal shop in school or vo-tech or something. I was eat up with cars and went to work sweeping the floor in a body shop when I was 19. Can't complain really. I've made a good living in the collision industry for 37 years but it would have been nice to have learned some of this before now.

ttabbal

Brass
Registered
Just remember, around here we blame @mikey for everything related to tool grinding. :D

Getting the platen upgrades on there will make a big difference. Your grinds will be a lot straighter with it.

For the next act, you can join me in the land of fixing up Bridgeport milling machines... :)

TerryH

Just remember, around here we blame @mikey for everything related to tool grinding. :D

Getting the platen upgrades on there will make a big difference. Your grinds will be a lot straighter with it.

For the next act, you can join me in the land of fixing up Bridgeport milling machines... :)
Well, it is Mikey's fault after all. :grin big:

And NO, no BP fixing...yet...

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Terry,
Good job on the screw jack.
I have a set of Mikey’s tool models available if you’re interested.
Jeff

TerryH

Terry,
Good job on the screw jack.
I have a set of Mikey’s tool models available if you’re interested.
Jeff
Hi Jeff. I’m am more than interested. I’ll PM you my info. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Z2V

tjb

Terry
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The first "thing" that I ever machined. What a great resource HM is. I faced, turned, drilled and threaded on my G8688 lathe after much reading. It was great fun. I didn't even break anything...yet.

I think I've graduated to perhaps the 'sophomore' level but, like you, I play around with making gadgets just for the learning experience. Nice work! Just for experience, I made a couple of pieces similar to yours and pressed a round magnet into a milled out section on the end. I have since made several more and have them all over my shop. Some, I even practiced knurling on the handle part. Great practice and the end result is something practical.

Welcome!

Regards,
Terry

TerryH

Hi Phil. Sure. That’s fine.

[5] [7]