Ok, don't laugh...

It's early yet- there will be plenty of opportunities to break things for fun and profit! LOL
Mark

Haha! You are quite correct. I'm sure I'll jack something up soon.

Hey, you faced it, turned to a shoulder, chamfered the edges cleanly, center drilled and tapped it accurately enough to accept a standard screw so basically you performed all four of the basic lathe operations in this one piece - what's to laugh at? You done good, Terry!

Thanks! Trying to perform all those operations in some sort of acceptable manner was my goal. I will admit that I had to drill and tap it twice because I fouled up the 1/4-20 threads and had to opt for 5/16-18. I don't have my head around the proper approach angles for the cutter or the proper speed. More practice to come.

I also need to get up the nerve to grind some HSS once I go thru more of your thread. This was done with carbide insert tools.

well then its perfect. good job, its always easier to hit the size if there's not one. bill

Lol... agree. Much easier to make the perfect part if it has no specified dimensions. Next step will be to attempt to turn to something to some specified dimensions.

Thanks! Trying to perform all those operations in some sort of acceptable manner was my goal. I will admit that I had to drill and tap it twice because I fouled up the 1/4-20 threads and had to opt for 5/16-18. I don't have my head around the proper approach angles for the cutter or the proper speed. More practice to come.

I also need to get up the nerve to grind some HSS once I go thru more of your thread. This was done with carbide insert tools.

Take your time, master the basics and you'll do just fine. The lathe will teach you more about metal working than any other machine in your shop.

While I agree that HSS would be a good choice for your lathe, carbide will get you up an running now. I hope you bought an SCLCR tool holder with CCGT-AK inserts; if not, take a look at them. The proper orientation for that tool is with the shank perpendicular to the work. For aluminum, run at your lathe's top speed at a low to moderate feed to improve the finish. Some WD-40 will help.

When you get ready to grind some tools, join us in the model tools thread and we'll help.

Nice work, very commendable for a newbie.

Take your time, master the basics and you'll do just fine. The lathe will teach you more about metal working than any other machine in your shop.

While I agree that HSS would be a good choice for your lathe, carbide will get you up an running now. I hope you bought an SCLCR tool holder with CCGT-AK inserts; if not, take a look at them. The proper orientation for that tool is with the shank perpendicular to the work. For aluminum, run at your lathe's top speed at a low to moderate feed to improve the finish. Some WD-40 will help.

When you get ready to grind some tools, join us in the model tools thread and we'll help.

I bought this set from LMS so no I don't have the SCLCR holders. Didn't even know they existed but I see the advantage to them now. Can you suggest the best place to buy them?

Mini lathe tooling package

Nothing wrong with that! I agree, make another one the same dimensions measuring with whatever is your most accurate measuring tool. Micrometer would be best, but use a caliper or whatever if that's what you have. It's not hard, but takes a few tries when you're getting started.

The triangle insert tools are alright, and pretty commonly picked up by new users. They will get you by for now, particularly if you are wanting to get into HSS grinding, which would be a good choice for your smaller lathe. The thread has a document you can print in it that has the most needed reference posts. I call it "The book of Mikey", print that to reference while grinding. Thinking of that, if your holders will take a 3/8" tool, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one to try, just so you can get a feel for them. And get on the list to get the models, it helps to have one to reference while you grind your first.

Back