Ok, don't laugh...

Nice job Terry. Nice looking lathe. Enjoy every moment making chips. Best part of this trade is you learn something new almost every day and on top of that,we,the guys at H-M,we got your back for any questions. There will always be someone who knows how to help. Good luck and enjoy.

Nice job Terry. Nice looking lathe. Enjoy every moment making chips. Best part of this trade is you learn something new almost every day and on top of that,we,the guys at H-M,we got your back for any questions. There will always be someone who knows how to help. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks! I am enjoying the little lathe and learning how to use it very much.

Nothing wrong with that! I agree, make another one the same dimensions measuring with whatever is your most accurate measuring tool. Micrometer would be best, but use a caliper or whatever if that's what you have. It's not hard, but takes a few tries when you're getting started.

The triangle insert tools are alright, and pretty commonly picked up by new users. They will get you by for now, particularly if you are wanting to get into HSS grinding, which would be a good choice for your smaller lathe. The thread has a document you can print in it that has the most needed reference posts. I call it "The book of Mikey", print that to reference while grinding. Thinking of that, if your holders will take a 3/8" tool, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one to try, just so you can get a feel for them. And get on the list to get the models, it helps to have one to reference while you grind your first.

Thanks. I do precision...well, hopefully precision...reloading. I have a decent amount of Mitutoyo mics, calipers etc.. so I can measure it. Now successfully duplicating those measurements, that might be an entirely different animal. :grin:

I do want to get into grinding my own HSS. Will definitely print "The book of Mikey", get on the model list. My holders will accept 3/8" tools. I very much appreciate your offer and will PM in a sec.

I bought this set from LMS so no I don't have the SCLCR holders. Didn't even know they existed but I see the advantage to them now. Can you suggest the best place to buy them?

Mini lathe tooling package

This is the best price on the best package I've seen on the net: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/38-turning-38-boring-tool-set/

I don't use carbide tools much anymore but when I do, this is the type of tool I use most often. It has a RH and a LH turning tool and a small boring bar. All take the same inserts, and the set comes with five each of two kinds of inserts; one for aluminum and one for steels. For the price, its a great deal. When the inserts run out, buy better quality inserts but these will get you started.

Take @ttabbal up on his offer. He is very good at tool grinding and you'll be able to see the difference in how carbide stacks up against a good HSS tool. Both will work but you will likely see that duplicating that piece you did will be much easier to do with the HSS tool because you can dial in the cut you need to come in on size. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Then you can decide if you want to take the time to learn to grind tools.

This is the best price on the best package I've seen on the net: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/38-turning-38-boring-tool-set/

I don't use carbide tools much anymore but when I do, this is the type of tool I use most often. It has a RH and a LH turning tool and a small boring bar. All take the same inserts, and the set comes with five each of two kinds of inserts; one for aluminum and one for steels. For the price, its a great deal. When the inserts run out, buy better quality inserts but these will get you started.

Take @ttabbal up on his offer. He is very good at tool grinding and you'll be able to see the difference in how carbide stacks up against a good HSS tool. Both will work but you will likely see that duplicating that piece you did will be much easier to do with the HSS tool because you can dial in the cut you need to come in on size. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Then you can decide if you want to take the time to learn to grind tools.

Thanks Mike. Much appreciate your help. I will order that set. I've also ordered some HSS blanks and I'm going to pick up some key stock to practice on. I printed all your attachments in the model thread. I have already PM'd @ttabbal so as to take advantage of his generous offer. Researching 2" belt sanders but will start on my 8" slow speed grinder just to see if I can do it. I am intrigued to duplicate the "thing" with HSS just to see the difference.

save material, remake that one to a specific size

Interesting idea but I have another piece of stock already cut and chucked up so I'm going to forge ahead with #2. Seems I might have a full set of them before I'm done. :grin:

Thanks Mike. Much appreciate your help. I will order that set. I've also ordered some HSS blanks and I'm going to pick up some key stock to practice on. I printed all your attachments in the model thread. I have already PM'd @ttabbal so as to take advantage of his generous offer. Researching 2" belt sanders but will start on my 8" slow speed grinder just to see if I can do it. I am intrigued to duplicate the "thing" with HSS just to see the difference.

I think its good to have and learn to use all the different kinds of tooling because they all have their place; no single type of tooling does it all. Use what works for the given situation.

You'll do fine with a bench grinder. I prefer a belt sander because I have better control with it but the vast majority of HSS tools are ground on bench grinders so have at it. If we can help, join us on the model tools thread.

I think its good to have and learn to use all the different kinds of tooling because they all have their place; no single type of tooling does it all. Use what works for the given situation.

You'll do fine with a bench grinder. I prefer a belt sander because I have better control with it but the vast majority of HSS tools are ground on bench grinders so have at it. If we can help, join us on the model tools thread.

I was attempting to read thru the thread before joining in but may have to abort and skip to the end. That thing is sizable.

Back