Ok, I give up. 7 start thread

It's good to know it won't take 10 days. I just gave them my facebook profile for a website.

But with Jim's help we have devised a work around for the threading and it seems to be working for now. It's a pain, but it works replacing some code. The search and replace in Fusion doesn't work for this (probably on purpose) so I use the code editor in mastercam to search and replace the code I want to change. Could use wordpad also.

I've been also trying in mastercam and it just doesn't work, but I just realized while typing this I'm trying for a left hand thread, and in Fusion I'm doing a right hand thread with the tool upside down and turning the spindle clockwise. Haven't tried that in mastercam, but if it works with Fusion I won't need to.

I downloaded the program this last week so I'm guessing it's pretty up to date. When everyone wakes up I'll go out and try it again. Too early to turn my compressor on. Don't want to tick off my neighbors.

Well done with the workaround. I'm a novice to CNC turning and I've had issues reconciling F360's tool orientation and spindle direction with my lathe and my brain. "Spindle CCW" means nothing unless you know what the F360 programmer was thinking - CCW looking at the chuck, or looking at the outboard end of the spindle?

If you're still waiting for neighbors to wake up, you might check out a fairly recent youtube video by NYCCNC about Visual Studio Code. Quick search of their channel should find it. There's a plugin for VSC - it's a little fiddly to set up - but allows some amazingly powerful G-code and post processor editing and review.

For example: you can open your post processor file and the .nc program in VS, and when you select a line of code Visual Studio will highlight the section of the PP which created that g-code line.

Also has a good search-n-replace function.

EDIT - downloading the program recently doesn't mean the post processor is the most recent. If you navigate to F360's CAM Post Library (internet search) you can find all the PP's. Depending on the one you're using there might be an updated version... or the F360 team hasn't gotten to that one quite yet.

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts

I downloaded the program this last week so I'm guessing it's pretty up to date.
Fusion automatically checks for updates every time you open it. Look at the Job Status (little clock symbol in the far upper right of the screen, if it has a 1 near it a little bit after you start the program, then click on it and it is most likely updating. Updates are published about once a week.

Well with a lot of help from my friends I think I've finally got it. The pitch was .115, just like I thought.

I have a glitch and I'm not sure if it's software, or tooling, or play in my lathe. My Z axis lead screw was just rebuilt, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be something else.

I have one thread that's narrower than the rest. It's narrow most of the way around the part.

Look at 9 o'clock in the first pic, now compare with second pic at 9.

Was hard to take a pic, but if in the second pic you compare the one at 9 with the ones at 8 and 10 you can see the difference.

I'll check my tool and may switch the inserts I had ground for this. I broke 4 edges (expensive) so I ground up a cemented carbide test tool with my carbide grinder. It's close, but not exact. But it did the job.

mesh1.jpg
mesh2.jpg

:dancing banana:

Looks like maybe the thin thread may have started in the wrong place, maybe missed the index pulse on the encoder. Or maybe all of the threads are just a bit thick, and thus took a little off of the back side of the first thread.

I've only made that one successful part, all the others I machined off and tried another one on the same material so don't know if it did it before. I just kept comping the tool down for another try, and another, and another.........

I'll make up a correct size blank tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
Hey I didn’t know the specifics but I modeled it up generally for you. I can change the diameter and depth pretty easily from here and then send it to you.

I made it a 7 start thread with a pitch of .805 (.115x7) od of 2” and 1” deep.

I’ve been super busy sorry it took so long

e162f8b73b8644b1ae51b6d53c12c5d1.jpg

Thats great. Thank you for doing that.

He should be calling the " Pickers " ! :grin:
Well done with the workaround. I'm a novice to CNC turning and I've had issues reconciling F360's tool orientation and spindle direction with my lathe and my brain. "Spindle CCW" means nothing unless you know what the F360 programmer was thinking - CCW looking at the chuck, or looking at the outboard end of the spindle?

If you're still waiting for neighbors to wake up, you might check out a fairly recent youtube video by NYCCNC about Visual Studio Code. Quick search of their channel should find it. There's a plugin for VSC - it's a little fiddly to set up - but allows some amazingly powerful G-code and post processor editing and review.

For example: you can open your post processor file and the .nc program in VS, and when you select a line of code Visual Studio will highlight the section of the PP which created that g-code line.

Also has a good search-n-replace function.

EDIT - downloading the program recently doesn't mean the post processor is the most recent. If you navigate to F360's CAM Post Library (internet search) you can find all the PP's. Depending on the one you're using there might be an updated version... or the F360 team hasn't gotten to that one quite yet.

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts

I'm going to have to try that. I use mastercam for milling and would really like to change the post, but haven't figured out how to do that.

I downloaded the fanuc lathe post just now. Will look for VS.

I seems as though there is an error in the diameter of the part. That would account for the one thread that is thinner than the rest. I would double check you OD of the material.

Back