Ok, I give up. 7 start thread

a few hours in the evaporust or electrolytic tank will fix that right up! ;)
-brino
I've thought about that thought with vinegar and water, But Honey would get REAL upset if I were to re-purpose _HER_ spa for this purpose... :grin:

I've thought about that thought with vinegar and water, But Honey would get REAL upset if I were to re-purpose _HER_ spa for this purpose... :grin:

I've heard molasses works too.......but this is a family friendly site.
-brino

The numbers that are output now from the program are within .0001 of the numbers everyone calculated. And are without the errors after I got the license. There are things that are different in the program that work now. Like editing, it actually works and don't have to use mastercam or notepad to edit programs.

I'm starting over, repost code from cam system and it and seemed to work. I checked the numbers from cam, and started at 50 RPM and did a skim cut with the part marked with a sharpie. I didn't find any problem with the first cut, so I went deeper and still good. I decided everything clears and my numbers seem good, so I double the RPM to 100. It split the thread. Did another part starting at 100 RPM and still good. Tomorrow I'll bump it up to 150, then 200 and see if still good.

I really think somehow it was a software problem. It could also be too much RPM, but I'll know that tomorrow. I've been out all day working on this and time to quit for the night.

So now I've got to order in more materail to make some parts up. I used most of my material making test parts, Then I need figure out a 6, 8, and 9 start.

20201105_163112.jpg20201105_163132.jpg20201105_163202.jpg

Glad you got it working! Hopefully the other gears are easier...

Thanks.

I could have never of done it without all my friends on here. I know, I tried, boy I tried. I probably should have asked for help earlier, but I'm kinda stubborn.

Everyone here has a different way of thinking about the problem and combined with everyone's input played a part in this. I never thought there would be over 150 replies to this topic. Got a lot of people thinking and coming up with different ideas and apparently knocked the rust of a few minds that haven't had a workout lately, including mine :grin:

Like I said I'm glad to be a part of this community.

Last edited:
Success thanks to everyone here that contributed to this project :grin:

My material came in yesterday and I was able to program up the gear and make on the adapter I needed it in one piece, not two.

I had been making the sleeve and then buying the gears and boring them out to fit the the sleeve. Now I can make the sleeve with the gear on it. This eliminates several steps and cut's my cost substantially. And look pretty cool if I do say so myself :cool:

Last step is to put them on my 4th axis and drill and tap the holes for the bolts.

The first pic is how I "used" to make the gear adapter up, then there is the new and improved version. Last pic shows the application it's used on.

I forgot to drop the RPM from 200 to 100 on my first try today, and had that bad "thin" thread. Dropped that to 100 RPM and it ran perfectly. As slow as 200 RPM is I didn't think there would be a problem at that speed. I've threaded parts at a much higher RPM on this machine, but not a multi start like this one. The machine is 27 years old and has it's limitations.

No on to the 6,8, and 9 tooth ones.

gear3.jpg
gear1.jpg
gear2.jpg
gear adapter.PNG

Pretty slick :encourage:

Sorry everyone, I've not fallen off the earth on this, well almost.

I got so involved in this I was working on it non stop. So much that one day my wife came out and started talking to me and asked if
I'd been drinking. She knows I don't. I was slurring my words, stumbling around, trying to make sense of the code I was trying to write. Nothing made sense to me. Had a hard time even turning the machine off.

Well she drug me into the house and called the doc and we went and had me checked out and they determined that I was trying too do too much and my stroke symptoms returned. Not full force, but enough to make me stop and quit what I was doing.

They warned me if I got sick something like this would happen. Apparently if I do too much the same thing will happen.

So I've had to back off. I do sneak out to my shop and do some things that don't require much thought, like cleaning up the engine for the nova.

I will get back to this I promise.

Last edited:
Back