Ok, I give up. 7 start thread

What are you some sort of magician?
Looks great!

Been hard at work on the gears.

I've down to 100rpm doing the threads. Have found that at 200 rpm I get an oddball narrow thread. 100 seems to work well, but I do know my surface footage is way off bt can't turn any faster.. I'm using a carbide tool I ground up, and going to try high speed steel to see if that works any better.

I'm having to make 3 runs of program on the threads. Even with 4 sping passes on the second run of the program there is some materail being taking off on the 3rd program run.

They take a lot of time to do. Been working on them for a couple of weeks now and ran out of material. Am getting 3ft more materail in next week.

finished gears.jpg

Last edited:
Dang man,
You must have figured it out!!
Looks great. I don't have a clue how you did it.

Now you need a Beta test on the driven gear to verify compatibility/longevity for long term usage.

I did it with a lot of help from my friends here. Without that I never would have gotten it.

Unfortunately I don't have anything with a 4L80E in it. So I've sent a couple out and hoping for the best.

Looking Good!

I'm surprised you are able to get away with only 4 passes, on a thread that deep I would most likely use about 10 passes with a decreasing step down on each pass, then a final 1 or 2 spring passes. Yeah, that would increase the cycle time, but you are working for yourself. :)

The 200 vs. 100 RPM is most likely a minor timing issue in the controller, just not fast enough to engage the electronic gearing properly at the needed feed rate.

I should have explained better. I run the program 3 times, probably about 12 passes each.. So 36 or so total.

I comp the tool out on the first run about .04.

Sometimes it all goes bad. I think it may be bad spots in the material. I get several good ones and then one where the thread breaks off, then back to good again. Then I break the tool. Takes forever to grind them.

I wish I could turn the part faster, but I think im at the limit of the controls capabilities.

Last edited:
I should have explained better. I run the program 3 times, probably about 12 passes each.. So 36 or so total.

I comp the tool out on the first run about .04.

Sometimes it all goes bad. I think it may be bad spots in the material. I get several good ones and then one where the thread breaks off, then back to good again. Then I break the tool. Takes forever to grind them.

I wish I could the part faster, but I think im at the limit of the controls capabilities.
OK, that makes sense.

Back