Ok, I give up. 7 start thread

Just as a side note, Fusion 360 does still offer a start up license. You just have to apply for it. Normally takes a few days for approval, but it's not crippled like the hobby version is. This is what I'm using. I think it's a 2 or 3 year license.

I just applied for that. Thanks.

There must be something else that had been defunctioned. It produced a mess more than anything. Code looks good, but no dice.

Your post processor may be throwing up, not F360.

If not, you might try adding a tool path at the beginning of the setup (using the same threading tool). Start at a clearance plane of about 2" away, and then a threading move for about one thread from Z2.0 to Z1.75. Program the feedrate at the max your machine can handle (i.e. rapids).

Then add a tool path like you want, at the feed rate you want.

I think a precursor move like this may fool the new F360 hobby license restrictions on G0 rapids. The new restriction is to output feed moves (G1) at the maximum feedrate for that tool. Meaning no G0 rapids, and if you're engraving at 2IPM, it'll move from home position to the initial plane at 2IPM (i.e. taking about a week to get to the cutting area).

I also think Autodesk has killed drilling - if no G0's, then how do you do a deep hole drilling cycle, peck cycle, or simple drill and rapid out? Every drilling Op will look like a feed-in/feed-out reaming cycle.

I'm pretty sure the Autodesk people responsible for the new restrictions are not machinists and/or haven't tried doing anything in real life.

Sorry for the rant - maybe the 'trick' move will allow you to get code you want until the startup license is approved.

I did my best to try your explanation and same outcome.

It's good to know it's not just me having problems.

I've applied to a startup license, got an email back saying it will be 10 days before I hear back from them.

Jim,

Ok if I send you some screen shots of the parameters I'm using so you can see if they match up with what you used? I'm not sure if it will help after hearing what spumco said, but I've tried everything I know. I very well could be using the wrong inputs.

Last edited:
Jim,

Ok if I send you some screen shots of the parameters I'm using so you can see if they match up with what you used? I'm not sure if it will help after hearing what @spumco said, but I've tried everything I know. I very well could be using the wrong inputs.

Post your code also

it will be 10 days before I hear back from them

It took them 3 days for my startup renewal. I didn't get a renewal notice - just a spammy invite to some F360 training courses. But it's working, and my Autodesk profile shows that my commercial web site is now www.idonthavetimeforawebsite.com. ;)

I did some more digging on the F360 forums, and there's a ton of threads on the no rapids issue causing PP's to break or output bad code - not just threading. I think F360 has reinstated rapids for additive manufacturing (3D printing) in the past week(ish) as it causes real issues with print quality.

And they're reportedly working to re-write a bunch of post processors so they don't output G1 F0 moves. Might check the PP you're using to see if there's a more recent (like in the past couple weeks) version that doesn't bugger the code.

I'm still interested in seeing if the G1 F1,000,000 pre-move works, but I'm reluctant to bring up the subject on the Autodesk forums for fear of wrecking a valid workaround for folks on the personal license. If someone has a personal license and wants to try it - have at it.

-Ralph

Back