Ok, I give up. Hss bits for lathe, what and where?

Eliotmay

Active User
Registered
I would like to buy some high quality American made m42 or similar 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/2 blanks. Can't seem to find the best place to buy. Please advise re: type and place, I like grinding my own bits but dont want to waste time on cruddy steelish junk. Thanks for your advice!

Quality tool bits at MSCdirect.com. Page 512 on their big book. Cleveland Mo Max M42 available bottom of the page.
Pierre

I've purchased most my blanks from this place. Don't know if he specifies country of origin though. Been buying from him for a long time. Good prices, cheap shipping, fast delivery.

http://stores.ebay.com/Greenway-Tool?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Ray

I would like to buy some high quality American made m42 or similar 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/2 blanks. Can't seem to find the best place to buy. Please advise re: type and place, I like grinding my own bits but dont want to waste time on cruddy steelish junk. Thanks for your advice!

LittleMachineShop sells T-15 in sizes 3/8" and down. Not sure of the brand, but it's listed as "Made in US". I have some of the 1/4" bits. They are tough as hxxl, and take forever to grind. Take a nice edge though. KBC also carries T15 in sizes up to the 1.25".

How does t15 compare to m42?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

The M-types (molybdenum) are theoretically tougher than the T-types (tungsten) alone. In terms of theoretical performance M42 is king of the hill. That said, now comes reality. My guess is that if you're working on aluminum or mild steel, either will do the job.

How does t15 compare to m42?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I second the previous post about Arthur Warner. These tools are fantastic & of the highest quality. You get the advantage of inserts & the sharpness of HSS. I'm a very satisfied user & other than that no affiliation.

Back