OK, NOW WHAT DO I HAVE?

Currahee26

Registered
Registered
Greetings!
I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Please be gentle!

I have a Sheldon lathe and I need some help with its ID. I've looked around the net and haven't found
this exact model. I have looked on the Sheldon UK site too. Any help will be appreciated.

It's model number is "UM 70-B" and serial number is UM 24651. At the outer end of the way is the same serial
number and at the same area of the tailstock is "51" next to the vernier scale.

I think it is an 8 speed drive with a back gear and two additional ranges gained by the two levers that stick out of the access door in front of the motor. The panel on the top of the gear box is too faded to read. I'd love to get a good photo of one to laminate and hang nearby.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance of any help you can offer.
(trying now to figure out how to post photos)
Dave

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Big welcome to the website that has heart and willingness to help. There are several here that can help on this, I know nothing about your lathe so I'm out.

Tony has a nice page on Sheldon lathes:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html

13.125" swing (Series M) with 1" collet capacity

Type "U" with eight speeds, with instant changes made by two external levers mounted on the cabinet stand's front face that operated a complex, multi-belt drive unit.

"70" is bed length.

"B" after the bed length told the lathe was mounted a full cabinet with integral chip tray.

Last edited:
Welcome to HM!
I've never used a Sheldon.
Regardless, you can ask all kinds of questions here without fear of ridicule.

Daryl
MN

If interested, I have the 1960's Sheldon lathe catalog I can scan and post if your interested. It has your lathe listed along with all the others offered back them. Let me know.
Also, you may want to join the two Sheldon Lathe Groups over on Yahoo. Lots of good information listed.

Ken

Type "U" with eight speeds, with instant changes made by two external levers mounted on the cabinet stand's front face that operated a complex, multi-belt drive unit.

"70" is bed length.

"B" after the bed length told the lathe was mounted a full cabinet with integral chip tray.
Thank you very much! Seems like that info is right on the button!!

"70" is bed length.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT INFORMATION! I'm very happy I located this lathe. Cleaning it up and getting ready to plug 'er in!! Dave

If interested, I have the 1960's Sheldon lathe catalog I can scan and post if your interested. It has your lathe listed along with all the others offered back them. Let me know.
Also, you may want to join the two Sheldon Lathe Groups over on Yahoo. Lots of good information listed.

Ken
Thank you VERY much for that offer. I contacted the Ozark Woodworker via eBay and he had the exact manual I needed. (For both my Sheldon and Bridgeport Round Ram mill!)

Back