Okay, pop quiz, which model Colchester/Clausing lathe is this?

kb58

Registered
Registered

Questions are:

1. Model number
2. Approximate age
3. Value (assuming all is well, and no extras)
4. Anything specific to watch out for regarding this particular model

I understand that some parts are still available from Clausing, but I assume I should not count on that while inspecting it

Full disclosure, I'm weighing rebuilding my old Grizzly 12 x 36" lathe against buying something of similar size but more robust.

Thanks!

Sorry I only know what a Clausing 5914 looks like. What needs rebuilding on your Grizzly?

It leaks oil like a sieve, which requires pulling the bearings, which, I've been told, can be "interesting."

Doing a picture search of the above appears to show it's a 1336 (imagine that), but I'll keep looking for more info.

Last edited:
This looks similar to our newer 13" Colchester Mark 2 at work . All the handles are very similar but I know ours is a newer model .

Tis indeed a roundhead Master,no gap model,about 1961/2.......Note the early style sliding feed lever.........not the "safety" knockout type............this is very important,because the feed will not kick out ,and any kind of bed stop will bust the gears.......As someone says ,somewhere,there are no oil seals ,and major leaks are usually caused by using thick oil to quieten the gears............they have large Gamet spindle bearings,a double row front......and costly to replace.

Have one of these sitting in the loading bay, retired and taking up space until the accountants release it.
Pierre

Back