Okay what 45 degree face mill is best for the Charter Oak 12z?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
After hours on the interweb I have face mill shopping fatigue. Lets start with size, in the 45 degree face mill category is a 3" too big for this mill? Options are 2", 2.5", or 3". I'm reading some people saying 3" is too big for a BP. Second does anyone have a brand recommendation? I looked at Grizzly, Lathe Inserts, Glacern, Maritool, seems like every damn one of them use a proprietary insert. Glacern has a nice one I'd buy in a minute but $20 an insert? Seriously? Ridiculous. Shopping around for inserts it looks like the only source is the tool vendor themselves short of ordering from China.

Most of the 45deg facemill in this size use the same size insert, SEXX43/12 including all the ones you listed (not sure about Grizzly, never looked it). Believe or not carbide inserts from the major manufacturers normally cost $10-$25ea. I have a Glacern FM45, I use the same AL specific Korloy inserts they sell except I got mine for $35 for a pack of 10 on ebay. Curtis at latheinserts.com is a great inexpensive source for inserts and all the products he carries are great quality.

Hmmm I thought they looked similar, I'll have to research the inserts in more detail as the part numbers are all different. That's good to know about Curtis he's the only one offering inserts at reasonable prices, his face mills quality looked a bit off compared to say Glacern. So what size Glacern do you have?

What brand is your 2"? I did some research this morning, Maritool and Glacern use the same insert, Lathe Inserts use a different insert and Grizzly use a Mitsubishi insert.

After hours on the interweb I have face mill shopping fatigue. Lets start with size, in the 45 degree face mill category is a 3" too big for this mill? Options are 2", 2.5", or 3". I'm reading some people saying 3" is too big for a BP. Second does anyone have a brand recommendation? I looked at Grizzly, Lathe Inserts, Glacern, Maritool, seems like every damn one of them use a proprietary insert. Glacern has a nice one I'd buy in a minute but $20 an insert? Seriously? Ridiculous. Shopping around for inserts it looks like the only source is the tool vendor themselves short of ordering from China.

I have the same mill only different brand (HBM-45) and I love my 2.5'' 45deg face mill.
It's most likely made in Taiwan and sits on a 22mm arbor (Mechanika) for my ISO30 spindle.

I use the following inserts:
SEHT43 AFFN X83 for aluminum (left)
SEHT43 AFSN X45 for steel (middle)
SEHW43 AFTN K2885 for decking cast aluminum motorcycle cylinders with cast iron liners (right).

SExx1204%20Inserts.jpg

Facemill_63mm.jpg

SExx1204%20Inserts.jpg

Facemill_63mm.jpg

What brand is your 2"? I did some research this morning, Maritool and Glacern use the same insert, Lathe Inserts use a different insert and Grizzly use a Mitsubishi insert.

I don't want to say much about the 2" until I get it & test it out, won't be here for another 2 weeks. It's not a 45° face mill anyway.

The LatheInserts' facemill uses the same insert as the others. They all may not list the exact insert p/n but like other indexables & holders it's the insert type & size that's import. For example a MCLN holder commonly uses a CNMG insert but also uses others CNGG, CNMA, CNMP, CNMM. That's assuming the FM & insert manufacturer follows ANSI/ISO specifications well. YMMV with generic inserts & cheap China/India FMs.

The only letters that are important are SE & T/W as well the size. S is square 90°, E is 20° relief angle. T & W is for the countersink hole. The insert size is 4 or 12 which is 1/2" or 12mm inscribed circle & 3 or 04 is the thickness. 43 is the ANSI size & 1204 is ISO, they are equivalent.

My grizzly g0755 says max face mill size is 3.125. When I get to buying one it will be a Glacern 3".

Dave

My grizzly g0755 says max face mill size is 3.125. When I get to buying one it will be a Glacern 3".

Dave

I'd believe what's "real world" recommended for BP/BP clones & what an R8 taper can handle over what Grizzly says. Not to say you can't use a 3" with lighter cuts. Of course YMMV & depends on the material you work with.

I did some digging, there appears to be a size difference...

Glacern/Maritool SEHT/SEHW = .500 inch square x .187 inch thick

Lathe Inserts/Grizzly/Mitsubishi SEET/SEGT/SEMT = .528 inch square x .156 inch thick

Back