Old Atlas lathe

customgreen

Registered
Registered
I am a new member and I am looking for some information on an Atlas Lathe I just picked up. A gentleman I know contacted me and said that he came across an old lathe in a building on some property he bought. He said it had fallen over and there was some damage, and he wanted to know if I was interested in it. I like old style tools and machinery. I went over and he had it back on the rolling cart that it was on when it fell over. He had to lift it with his tractor. No identifying marks on it anywhere. Damage looked minor. We agreed on a very low price and I brought it home. I know very little about machining and machines, other than a very limited time in a machine shop when I was a kid. I have been able to figure out that it is an Atlas 10" lathe. One of the gears on the back was broken, along with the tin cover being dented up pretty good. The only numbers I could find were 10D 246 on the gear cast iron cover and on the bed there is what I believe to be a serial number...D4175S. I am looking to do a proper restoration on this lathe (as best as I can do) and put it to use. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying it, which will help me in searching for missing parts It looks to be pretty much complete minus the motor. I did get a box full of parts. I am trying to nail down the year. Thank you.

Attachments

• atlas.jpg
    atlas.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 75
And.... if he gave it to you and you really want to get any of your question answered.....join the Atlas Lathe group on GROUPS.io
It’s a pretty active discussion group.

Last edited:
I did look up information on it and pretty much now have it nailed down to 1936 or 1937. Great information from this group on where to look. I will join the Atlas group. The lathe was bought not gifted, but very low price because of broken pieces. I have found one of the original replacement parts and bought it. I am still looking for a couple more. Right now I am in the process of dismantling the lathe for inspection and proper cleaning. The bed will need to be surface ground since the is some pitting, and no doubt uneven surfaces. It is very well built for it's time, and perfect for the home hobbyist, or light commercial work. Funny thing...Now I am finding all kinds of lathes. I had a person contact me about buying his turret lathe. It was a machine shop that was closing (owner passed away) A bigger lathe with all kinds of accessories for 200.00. It was 220 single phase and I don't have extra 220 in my garage. There is another one for free. It is a Harding Lathe in very rough shape. Badly rusted but complete. No equipment on site to lift it. To bad it is pretty cool looking.

Back