[Bandsaw] Old bandsaw

I bought a similar saw. Dates around 1895 made by the Silver Mfg Co. They broke off from the Silver and Demming Mfg. Co. Mine was destined for a working museum but they backed out and I got it for $500. When I picked it up it was already apart. Currently I'm stripping the paint to paint it with urathane grey paint. It needs to be slowed down from 3000 fpm to between 250 to 300. I plan on keeping the flat belt drive but modifying it for variable speed like on South Bend Lathes. Old machines rule. Good luck.

I like the new interest in the saw but sadly I still have not found time to fix. I have it on my mind to set it up for metal as I have some large cast iron I want to saw. I have gotten a gearbox that I think will slow it to the right speed. I will have to retire the wheels and get another blade. So many things to do and too little time. I will be 57 in August and shop is still not finnished.

tommie

Tommie----I know how you feel about time slipping away and a lot of fun neat machines to improve so they can be used----I will turn 71 in November and my shops are still not finished either------I have big old bandsaws also but they can be used now---a lot of my machines are waiting for 220 wiring to my shops---we will catch up if we keep getting encouragement from other members-----thanks for your pictures of your nice old bandsaw---it is fun to look at the older machines----Dave

It looks like the 30" Tannewitz that we have here. I had the Motor ( 250# ) redone and put new brake shoes. Awesome Saw!!!

Back