[4]

Old Bench Milling Machine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Micke S

Active User
Registered
I've been offered this old and well used bench mill. It is not terribly good looking at the moment but I like old machines and will buy it if it is OK. It is like rusty vintage vehicles, you don't see or even think of pile of junk, only the possible end result...

Anyone having seen something like this before and can tell if it is something to have or not?

Bench Mill.jpg

Bench Mill parts 4.jpg

Bench Mill parts 1.jpg

Bench Mill.jpg Bench Mill parts 4.jpg Bench Mill parts 1.jpg

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've been offered this old and well used bench mill. It is not terribly good looking at the moment but I like old machines and will buy it if it is OK. It is like rusty vintage vehicles, you don't see or even think of pile of junk, only the possible end result...

Anyone having seen something like this before and can tell if it is something to have or not?

View attachment 90890

View attachment 90891

View attachment 90892

I would buy it in a quick heartbeat---If you get it and don't like it just ship it over to me-----very nice find-----Dave

thomas s

Active User
Micke I wish I could find stuff like that. And yes for the right price get it. thomas s

Dave Smith

Active User
please take some more pictures of it and let us know if you find a name tag on it-----it sure has a lot of similarities to my small horizontal bench top mill that no one has identified yet---search for "anyone know which brand or anything about this machine" ---thread #18 has more pictures of mine--------on your find--are there any brand markings on any of the accessories with it ?----hope you don't pass it up---Dave

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Thank you guys, I will certainly buy it if the seller doesn't change his mind.

I found real good information here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/hogbo/

chips&more

Active User
Registered
You’re right, it’s a piece of junk! Have it sent to my house. I’ll take good care of it! But seriously, nice find if you get it. I would not let it out of my sight. It should be in your truck/car going home. :))

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Here is a pic that shows how incredible nice these machines can be.

I'm negotiating the price with seller...

workshop 10.JPG

workshop 10.JPG

fast freddie

Active User
Registered
how could you not love a little critter like that

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Yes Little Critter is his name :))

L_C.jpg

L_C.jpg

core-oil

Active User
Registered
I have fell in love with it so much, I want to send it a bunch of flowers & a box of sweets!, Its a cutie, Take it home & keep it warm and happy.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
beautiful lil' mill!!
i hope you are able to add it to your shop and make it look as pretty as the red mil.

Micke S

Active User
Registered
The seller wants 1 grand for it :rubbinghands:. I've stretched my bid to 500 dollars, which is a lot more more than I wanted and hoped for to pay. So at the moment I don't know if Little Critter will be mine :bitingnails:I guess not.

caspaincmonster

Active User
Registered
For Scandinavia a grand US doesn't sound so bad but then I am in Norway where everything is expensive :)

Hawkeye

Active User
It's not very big, but it looks like it would be very solid. Should do some really nice work. Hope the seller bends.

Dave Smith

Active User
You figure you couldn't touch that red one for 1K---and it doesn't have that nice vise and those expensive accessories with it---:thinking::thinking::thinking:---sure hope the seller deals with you----we want you to have it!!!----Dave

Micke S

Active User
Registered
I'm not happy about it. Little Critter is in a dark place with a lot of trash. No one to speak with and it is cold and humid and scaring sounds. The rust will start to eat him, piece by piece. When he hears a remote sound, he shines up and believes it is me, coming to save him! But it is never so, I don't know where he is and cannot help.

At some point in the future there will not be much left. Just a rusty chunk of cast iron that no one can see what it was. But inside there are still a few undamaged molecules. The live in a happy world of them selves and think about the great times when Little Critter was in a bright shop and everyone stopped and told him how much they wish to bring him home and care for him.

:allgood:

raykehrhan

Registered
Buy it already!! That looks like one sweet machine, with all the original tooling!!

LJP

Active User
Registered
If it was me, I would miss the machine more than the $1000.

Micke S

Active User
Registered
I've got my very own Little Critter now! It is not the same individual but the same model including the floor stand. The price was a so called Best Friend Price, 400 dollars, hallelujah :))

4069279001.jpg

4069279001.jpg

Dave Smith

Active User
since you got that nice little critter at such a low price--you might as well just send those collets and extras on the floor to me------Dave

Very glad to got such a nice deal:)):thumbzup3:

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Thank you Dave, yes it is a great deal and there are a lot more cutters and other stuff than shown in the advertisement picture. Among others a precision Granlund by Eskilstuna Sweden mill cutting tool set #1 with about 50 cutters. Just this is well worth the 400 dollars. The machine vise was removed but I felt it would have been greedy to say anything about it and kept my mouth shut. The guy sold a lot of equipment by the same ad, but payed extra to remove Little Critter when I was promised to get it since many many persons called and wanted it. One guy about 500 km's away had called and offered 1500 dollars for the unit. The seller was not very comfortable about this. The mill is very popular by model builders (RC aircrafts etc.) and I've learned from a friend that they usually goes for 1400 to 2800 dollars and are very rare finds.

The seller had bought a complete shop interior from a widow. He payed 3500 dollars for a lot of machines and accessories. A very very nice Colchester lathe, a very nice milling machine in Bridgeport class in top condition, tool grinder, Kemppi 220 amp MIG welder, chucks, index table and box after box after box with tools and accessories of different types. Drill grinding fixtures, you name it. The garage was packed with the acquired parts so he had rented a tent just to store things that there where not room for and he planned to expand the garage... I got a feeling he didn't understand what a premium glory hole he had found. I had hoped a High End table tool grinder for 450 dollars would have be left but a guy had collected it one hour before I came. But at least he understood it was a good find for him and I guess this is why I got the mill for a low price under the pressure of strong bidders and he stayed behind it for me. It was a very gentle and nice person, he loaded everything in the car for me while I was drooling like a dog.

The little mill is in a nice looking condition and does not need a repaint job. The retail sticker from an ancient time is still there :))

More pics will come when it is taken into the garage.

Micke S

Active User
Registered
It seems the shop where all stuff comes from has been on idle for quite some time. Lots of dust but of course it doesn't matter. A little teaser below.

DSC03541.JPG

DSC03542.JPG

DSC03543.JPG

DSC03541.JPG DSC03542.JPG DSC03543.JPG

Hawkeye

Active User
Yeah, Micke. You did good. Congrats.

Micke S

Active User
Registered
You can't trust anyone these times. Have you ever came home and found that the seller didn't tell you everything? This is just what happened me...
The missing beautiful original machine vise was in a box that the seller had put in my car without me seeing this. The seller is really a honorable guy. :))

img5.gif

img5.gif

Last edited:

bpratl

Active User
You can't trust anyone these times. Have you ever came home and found that the seller didn't tell you everything? This is just what happened me...
The missing beautiful original machine vise was in a box that the seller had put in my car without me seeing this. The seller is really a honorable guy. :))
Great find, the mill and the seller, clean her up and enjoy her. Bob

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know what type of collet this is? One or two are missing so it is just to buy them if available.

Critter Collet.jpg

Collet.jpg

Critter Collet.jpg Collet.jpg

kd1yt

Active User
Registered
Wow, what a happy ending and nice machine and associated bits for a wonderfully affordable price.

Those collets look very similar to a batch that came along with my approx 100 yr old Brown & Sharpe #2 horizontal milling machine that also has a vertical head accessory. I have not yet fooled with the vert. head. (been engrossed in degriming and getting to know my similar vintage LeBlond 14" lathe) to even confirm if the collets in fact go with that machine

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Little Critter is now at his final destination and only needs a good clean and lube up to be in service again. :))

Lift.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Lift.jpg Mounted.jpg

rafe

Active User
Registered
That's a fine looking mill you have there. You should be able to reference those collets and determine what they are. I think
"the Machinery Handbook" has a chart for collets ...but I don't know if it covers metric if that is what they are HTH's

[6]
[5] [7]