Old Bench Milling Machine

I've now tested to grind HSS cutters with a diamond wheel and it works well.

View attachment 93178

Mike---don't use your diamond wheel for HSS---use a white stone instead----a diamond wheel may work for HSS--but will damage the wheel permantly in a short time--diamond wheels are for carbide grinding------Dave

The original 3C collets are limited to 12 mm maximum. So I'll try to make a special ER32 chuck that fits in the spindle. I have plenty of ER32 collets; from 2 to 20 mm with a chuck on a MT3 shank. The critical part will be to get as little runout as possible at the 12 degree cone section. A 3 or 6 jaw chuck is out of the question so I'll dial in the 4 jaw chuck as good as I can or turn it between centers.

The raw material, a ER32 chuck with 1" shank, already have a M12 thread for a draw bar so the actual work is not much.

G04_456w.jpg

DSC03633.JPG

G04_456w.jpg DSC03633.JPG

Your post helped me allot Micke. I have the same Høgbo Bench Milling Machine. But I did not had a clue about the extra equipment to it. I only have the vertical head and 3 pieces of metric 3C-collets and I didn't know what type those collets was before I found your pictures and this forum by google. Thanks. Hope to get some of the extra equipment you got later on, but I think that's difficult. The head and rod for horizontal milling is of coarse my main interest to get a hand on.

Last edited:
You can't trust anyone these times. Have you ever came home and found that the seller didn't tell you everything? This is just what happened me...
The missing beautiful original machine vise was in a box that the seller had put in my car without me seeing this. The seller is really a honorable guy. :))

View attachment 91777

View attachment 91777

One of the nicest anecdotes I ever heard.
Congrats to both.

Please please cover the machine and vice COMPLETELY if you ever grind anything again on it. The grinding dust will damage EVERYTHING really quickly.

I've been offered this old and well used bench mill. It is not terribly good looking at the moment but I like old machines and will buy it if it is OK. It is like rusty vintage vehicles, you don't see or even think of pile of junk, only the possible end result...

Anyone having seen something like this before and can tell if it is something to have or not?

View attachment 90890

View attachment 90891

View attachment 90892

View attachment 90890View attachment 90891View attachment 90892
Nice to see! I have the mill. You dont happen to have any extra accessories for ittjat you would like to sell?
Cheers from Sweden
/Emiö

Back