Old Bench Milling Machine

since you got that nice little critter at such a low price--you might as well just send those collets and extras on the floor to me------Dave

Very glad to got such a nice deal:)):thumbzup3:

Thank you Dave, yes it is a great deal and there are a lot more cutters and other stuff than shown in the advertisement picture. Among others a precision Granlund by Eskilstuna Sweden mill cutting tool set #1 with about 50 cutters. Just this is well worth the 400 dollars. The machine vise was removed but I felt it would have been greedy to say anything about it and kept my mouth shut. The guy sold a lot of equipment by the same ad, but payed extra to remove Little Critter when I was promised to get it since many many persons called and wanted it. One guy about 500 km's away had called and offered 1500 dollars for the unit. The seller was not very comfortable about this. The mill is very popular by model builders (RC aircrafts etc.) and I've learned from a friend that they usually goes for 1400 to 2800 dollars and are very rare finds.

The seller had bought a complete shop interior from a widow. He payed 3500 dollars for a lot of machines and accessories. A very very nice Colchester lathe, a very nice milling machine in Bridgeport class in top condition, tool grinder, Kemppi 220 amp MIG welder, chucks, index table and box after box after box with tools and accessories of different types. Drill grinding fixtures, you name it. The garage was packed with the acquired parts so he had rented a tent just to store things that there where not room for and he planned to expand the garage... I got a feeling he didn't understand what a premium glory hole he had found. I had hoped a High End table tool grinder for 450 dollars would have be left but a guy had collected it one hour before I came. But at least he understood it was a good find for him and I guess this is why I got the mill for a low price under the pressure of strong bidders and he stayed behind it for me. It was a very gentle and nice person, he loaded everything in the car for me while I was drooling like a dog.

The little mill is in a nice looking condition and does not need a repaint job. The retail sticker from an ancient time is still there :))

More pics will come when it is taken into the garage.

It seems the shop where all stuff comes from has been on idle for quite some time. Lots of dust but of course it doesn't matter. A little teaser below.

DSC03541.JPG

DSC03542.JPG

DSC03543.JPG

DSC03541.JPG DSC03542.JPG DSC03543.JPG

Yeah, Micke. You did good. Congrats.

You can't trust anyone these times. Have you ever came home and found that the seller didn't tell you everything? This is just what happened me...
The missing beautiful original machine vise was in a box that the seller had put in my car without me seeing this. The seller is really a honorable guy. :))

img5.gif

img5.gif

Last edited:
You can't trust anyone these times. Have you ever came home and found that the seller didn't tell you everything? This is just what happened me...
The missing beautiful original machine vise was in a box that the seller had put in my car without me seeing this. The seller is really a honorable guy. :))

Great find, the mill and the seller, clean her up and enjoy her. Bob

Does anyone know what type of collet this is? One or two are missing so it is just to buy them if available.

Critter Collet.jpg

Collet.jpg

Critter Collet.jpg Collet.jpg

Wow, what a happy ending and nice machine and associated bits for a wonderfully affordable price.

Those collets look very similar to a batch that came along with my approx 100 yr old Brown & Sharpe #2 horizontal milling machine that also has a vertical head accessory. I have not yet fooled with the vert. head. (been engrossed in degriming and getting to know my similar vintage LeBlond 14" lathe) to even confirm if the collets in fact go with that machine

That's a fine looking mill you have there. You should be able to reference those collets and determine what they are. I think
"the Machinery Handbook" has a chart for collets ...but I don't know if it covers metric if that is what they are HTH's

Back