[Mill] Old but new to me Diamond Horizontal Mill

It's either a B-12 or an M-20 I don't know what the difference is
My arbor is 1" too and they seem to be less common than 1-1/4

Last edited:
Nice old machine, built like a brick outhouse. I don't know what prices are like in Kentucky but it looks like great deal to me. Needs a little work but a very useful machine. I have an old Denbigh horizontal mill, similar design, flat belt cone pulleys and back gear. I fitted a Bridgeport M head and replaced the old table feed with an Align/Servo type, much better! Horizontal spindle is driven by a 3phase motor and inverter. I use wide poly v belts on the flat pulleys.

You have much more Z travel than the Diamonds, nice machine, bigger too looks like, + backgear; you could pull the earth off it's axis with that thing
Mark

Here is a couple pics of the motor and the plug. Is this 3 phase? The motor only has 3 wires going into it. The plate on the motor is pretty worn and can't read all the info. Here is some pics of the pulley system. In most of the pictures I see of others system they have 3 sets of 2 pulleys, mine are all different sizes. Thanks for all the help and info.

26.jpg

18.jpg

7.jpg

One nice feature on the Diamond is the large easy to read dials, especially if one doesn't have a DRO (I don't, yet)
Mark0221181257-00.jpg

Yes it looks like 3 phase. I see you have 6 step pulleys on yours- maybe a special factory version for extra speeds

Try to find some old books on horizontal mills, there are plenty on line. A common mistake is to run the cutters too fast, without flood coolant they will burn out very quickly. It's very satisfying when you start a cut and watch the machine munching through metal.

Try to find some old books on horizontal mills, there are plenty on line. A common mistake is to run the cutters too fast, without flood coolant they will burn out very quickly. It's very satisfying when you start a cut and watch the machine munching through metal.
I agree. what size is your spindle? and did you paint yours? looks like you could eat off it LOL looks good

Back